1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive LED Change

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lowpro804, Feb 19, 2008.

1. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

Ok so im going through this "colour" blue phase with my sys. and i would like to know if it's ok to put a blue LED in where a 2 tone one is supposed to be will it change from blue to another colour ?

Thank's For Any Help !

2. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

Hi,

Duo-tone LED's are usualy created one of two ways.

1) 3 pin variants usually consist of 2x LED's encapsulated in the usual epoxy case, and are connected internally so they share the same cathode (0v, ground etc) and the LED's are illuminated by passing a current to either anodes, or both at once. For example a greed / red LED will produce the colours red, green or orange / yellow (if both are illuminated at once).

2) 2 pin variants consist of 2 LED's connected in a reverse parallel configuration. As diodes only conduct electricity in one direction only one can be illuminated at once. However if an alternating current is passed to it, or a high frequency signal of +ve and -ve voltage whit a single pin connected to 0v / ground, then it will illuminate a mixture of both colours.

Depending on the configuration of the LED and the burner, you MAY be able to change it, however without seeing it myself I couldn't tell you what will / won't work.

3. lowpro804

lowpro804 Member

Yeah so i figured it out but damn the little sucker's some bright ,good thing i don't use the drive while im trying to sleep ...lol , it light's up my whole living room . Good it works it looks pretty cool