1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive not picking up on DVD roms or videos, needs help

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Minatek61, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Minatek61

Minatek61 Member

Hey, I have a SAMSUNG DVD ROM SD-616T. It can pick up cds but only sometimes picks up on the dvds and never can play them. No new or old drivers I can find for it, updated the firmware, checked plugs and all. Had the problem for a good while, used to work, played my dvd roms fine but during gameplay it gave me an error, to long ago to remember what it was, and never played again. Tried downloading a few different dvd-roms but the few times it detects a dvd the download halts in the middle and crashes. Also, most of the time when I try to open a DVD on the drive the system goes unresponsive and crashes. I'm on Windows Xp. Any help would be great.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Antique drive there... must be 7 years old. Try cleaning the laser with one of those cheap cd cleaning disks.. but if that does no good just scrap it and buy a modern drive.

::hint:: you can probably sell it for more than the cost of a new dvd burner on ebay so long as you don't open it and don't mention the fact it doesn't read disks well.. they can be modded to fit in an xbox..they are that kind of vintage)

3. tripplite

tripplite Guest

sounds like its hit its end.....make sure all the pins on the IDE (ATA) cables are strait and are in firm

you can get a DVD+RW DL LIGTHSCRIBE drive for only like 25 bucks now.....

4. Minatek61

Minatek61 Member

Thx guys.