1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drive not reading PAL Region2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by squidge37, Jan 5, 2004.

1. squidge37

squidge37 Member

Hey hey

I have a PAL Region 2 DVD, and neither DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter will read it. They'll start, but then give me an error message. Something along the lines of "region doesn't match something something". Sorry, I don't have the exact wording.

Anywho, I'm thinking it's a problem with the disc, even though it has no scratches. Here's something weird:

In windows explorer, (looking at the DVD as data files), I can copy over all files except the .VOB files. The other files read like normal files, so it's not a scratch issue. Whenever I try to do anything at all with the VOB files, (even just try to copy to a directory them as simple data files), it says it can't read it. Error reading file, or something like that.

I've played PAL Reg2 discs before, so I'm out of ideas. Any ideas why it can read all files except the VOB's specifically? Even as data files? Kooka-nutty.

2. sillycybe

sillycybe Regular member

Hmmm...I recently got a few R2 Pal discs from ebay and used DVD Decryptor 3.1.70 and Nero 6 to burn them. Decrypter ripped them region free and they seem to work fine. I haven't tried with new version.

3. drchips

drchips Active member

4. squidge37

squidge37 Member

Thanks. I tried DVD Decrypter and it couldn't read the files, but I'll get the new version released 12/29 and try again.

Here's something new... I managed to rip it to my hard drive using CladMDEC. (Not sure if anyone is familiar with that program.) It rips the VOB files only, so I've got no .ifo file or menues. Still working on it...

5. sillycybe

sillycybe Regular member

6. squidge37

squidge37 Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try. That could be the case, although I have played PAL Reg2 DVD's on this drive before. I'll post the results tomorrow

7. squidge37

squidge37 Member

Hey hey

DVD Decrypter worked! When I first started the program with the disc in the drive, it gave me a "region mismatched" error, and when I started ripping the DVD it would give me a failure message with each and every VOB file, but I would just enter thru each one and it ripped them just fine. (I used the salt shaker to hold down the enter key).

Thanks for the tip on the program that checks your drive for a region lock. It turns out that my DVD drive is locked to R1, but my DVD burner is locked but not actually set to any region, so I used the burner to rip to the HDD. After I ripped it to the HDD, I ran it thru DVD Shrink to remove the region.

Thanks all!