1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Drive won't read data disks

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by BCM, Aug 8, 2008.

1. BCM

BCM Member

Hi

This problem is getting to be a bit of a pain

My Sony DVD recorder will not always read Verbatim DVD-R's if data recorded but will read burnt DVD (Nero 7 / MS Vista)

The DVD is burnt and plays fine elsewhere(checked on my laptop). Very rarely will it read DVD data

Any ideas

2. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

What is your process for burning data discs? When you mentioned Nero it made me think of making sure the multi-session box was not checked. Give me more information and I will attempt to help more.

3. BCM

BCM Member

Wife's 40th birthday so will be unable to do anything today but will get onto it tomorrow. I hope that's OK?

4. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

You better do something nice for the lady if yer gonna be tied to a computer fixing problems for a while!
    I'll be here and maybe others will join in by the time you come back.

5. BCM

BCM Member

Tons presents, a suprise party for 60-70 people which she has no lcue about and a long weekend in Marrakesh in a couple of weeks. What do you reckon - enough?

6. BCM

BCM Member

Windows Vista including SP1, Nero Burning Rom (v 8.1.1.0) with a Sony AW-G170A DVD burner, Verbatim DVD-R 16x certified

As I mentioned above, recorded DVD works fine, audio on CD also but DVD data not always (but opens up perfectly on my laptop and wife's laptop

7. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Since you are saying it works on all the drives you place the disc in except for one, I'm trying to focus on that ones differences from the others. First off, I've seen this problem before using cheap discs, but Verbatim is normally good stuff. Second, how fast are you burning your discs? Make the burn speed half of what your disc says for best results. It might work in 1 machine but not in all when burned too fast. Third, do you use single-session or multi-session option while using Nero? For best compatibility discs really should finalized. I hope I'm helping so far, let me know if I'm not.
    And yes, I does seem like you have a nice surprise in store for your wife. Hope all goes well.

8. BCM

BCM Member

I must admit I do trnd to burn at optimum speed and always at single session. I'll try a few tomorrow at half speeed and get back to you (it never used to be a problem)

Party went superbly. The look on her face as she realised what was going on was worth the 'admission' alone

9. BCM

BCM Member

I've tried 5 DVD's today at half speed i.e. 8x. The first three burnt successfully and could be read on my PC, the fourth and fith couldn't be read. What do you reckon?

10. varnull

varnull Guest

Did the disks have the same contents? there is a bit of a known bug in the M$ implementation of the UDF filesystem.. only affects files over 2 gigs...

Other than that it's either a bit of an iffy batch of disks or your burner is seriously messing about.

11. BCM

BCM Member

Not the same content. All different (5 of them). Would you suggest other burnng software: if so, which?

I've had problems with the last 400 - 500 DVD's so I don't think it's them so it must be the burner: time to replace as it does get heavy usage.

What's the best about at the moment?

12. varnull

varnull Guest

Before you buy a new burner it may be worthwhile checking for updated/hacked firmware. I have had a lot of problems with 16x disks on the work windows machines, but none at all here on my linux systems.

Also set your burning software to verify the data burned on completion... finally I would be very tempted to have a play with nero cd/dvd speed and do a couple of quality burns and scans.. those tend to show up unexpected faults with drives which seen to work normally most of the time. It's like a stress test of the burner as well as a disk check.

13. BCM

BCM Member

Where would I get the firmware from? Any sggestions

To be honest, I never verify the data as I'm alsways getting errors. Do you do this everytime you burn?

I've dropped to 4x on those 5 burns metioned above, and have had mixed results. When you say 'quality burns and scans' what do you mean: can you explain?

Thanks for your help to date

Tony