1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd drive???

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by codez, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Before doing any firmware upgrade, make sure you have a floppy with the original firmware version. You don`t want to be left without the firmware that you know works or worked. Is the maxtor drive a DVD-/+Rw drive or is it a DVD rom CDrw combo drive? What burning software are you using and is it reconized there?
    WinXp has built in CDr burning in the Windows explorer, bit of a pain, but see if it can reconize your drive.

2. archedone

archedone Guest

hi prisoner..thanks for your time, my drive is only a CDRW, and it is bundled with Nero 5.0 software.. i didn't get any original firmware when i bought it, but before it burns cd in win98se using Nero 5.0 but when i switch to winxp, it can't burn any longer using Nero 5.0 even with xp's cd burning program. but for sure xp recognize my drive but it just can't record. hope i can receive further info from you...

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Sorry archedone, let me get your issue straight.
    You went from Win98 to WinXP and lost the ability to burn in Nero?
    Can you read Cd's with your burner? ie if you but an audio cd in your drive will it play.
    If you open Windows Explorer and right click on the CD drive, is it listed under the Hardware tab?
    Next go to the tab called Recording, Make sure the check box for Enable CD recording on this drive is checked.
    With all that, your should be able to burn a disc using The WinXP burning engine. You should also see if Nero reconizes your Burner.
    In Nero 5.5 there is a Recorder tab, go to choose recorder (this may also be the case with Nero 5.0 , I don't know I never used it). In Choose Recorder it should list image recorder and your burner, select your burner and see if all the details are correct. It will tell you burn speeds and firmware versions.

Its possible that the check box was unchecked and Nero is in image mode. That could be your problem. Tell me how it goes.

4. archedone

archedone Guest

thanks again prisoner, i have done all the things you have said, all settings are correct, and even my nero burning is not in image recording mode yet i can't burn any cd.
    my last option is to upgrade the firmware of my cdrw drive... thanks a lot for your time.

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

How did your firmware update go?
    On websites by companies that release official updates they include all the versions available. I would recomend downloading a couple of versions just incase any errors. Then you can test a few and see if you get it working.
    If all this fails as I don't think its a firware issue. Try unconecting you CDR drive inside your computer (open up the box and remove the IDE cable). Then reboot and let it reset the devices in the CMOS. Run a couple programs in Windows, what ever. Then shut down your computer and reconnect your CDR drive. Then rebot, that might work as Windows will have to detect it as new hardware and should configure it correctly.

6. archedone

archedone Guest

hi prisoner..thanks for your patience... as of now.. i haven't checked how the updated firmware goes... as i'm out of our country... but when i go back home...i will try your suggestion of removing my drive first... i'll let you know the result but i guess that would be next month already...i hope you could still find time checking this thread...thanks a lot...

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

No problem, as long as you post, I get an update which I always check. May not comment right away, but always check. Have fun in ...?

8. DarkFoss

DarkFoss Guest

You can also try updating your copy of Nero from their website. 5.0 might not work properly under XP. You can update your copy to 5.5.10.42 or 50 I believe from here.

http://www.nero.com/us/631933457317970.html

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2003
  9. archedone

archedone Guest

hi prisoner, darkfoss...thanks for your help, now my wife informed me that she is able to burn cds again..thanks a lot

10. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

No Problem, Glad every thing is now working.

11. archedone

archedone Guest

hi prisoner, how r u ?? hope ur fine. i have this idea on my mind, how and where can i get an equipment that could diagnose HDD fault and could repair misalignment of the arm with the disk surface, can do data recovery and deletion, anf other HDD failure, i'm checking with EPOS but could not get detailed specification of the equipment.

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

One beter than me for hard ware questions is Ken0042. Try sending him a private message, he is really good at responding.
    I am not not aware of anything that versitile with the hard disk still in the box. The last time I did data recovery from a droped broken Hard disk, it was using AFM. Atomic force microscopy, we imaged the hard disc and translated the spaces and dark regions for 1 and 0. That is not fun, but you do what you can do. In the case, I don't know.