1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD drives wont read cds or dvds - XP

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by chrisyg, Mar 21, 2005.

1. chrisyg

chrisyg Member

Can someone please help

I have 2 seperate dvd drives, both do not work by way of readin cd's or dvd's. Ihave just recently re-installed XP Pro, I have checked the cables all are fine, there are no ! in the device manager for the drives (depending which one is in the pc at the time) i have tried uninstallin the drivers but nothing works. The drivers seem to load up fine dvd and cd rom but when i install a disk nothing happens. I cant find drivers for either drives on the net(Plextor PX-716A and Lite-On LDW-851S)

Can anybody help please!!!!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

There are no drivers for the burners. What you want is the latest firmware for the burners. For the Plextor, it is version 1.04.

3. chrisyg

chrisyg Member

I have dl the latest version of firmware for the lite-on drive and it still doesn't read dvds, but it does read cds. Any ideas why the dvd wont read???

I will try the Plextor next, and will get back..

4. chrisyg

chrisyg Member

ok, treid the Plextor firmware version 1.04 and this drive doesn't even read cds let alone dvds.

Can anybody help???? Really Desperate, as i need to back up!!

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried a cd/dvd cleaner disk. check in device manager for any exclamation marks

6. chrisyg

chrisyg Member

No there are no exclamation marks in the device manager. I have tried uninstaling the drives via the DM countless times.

They shouldn't need a clean up disk as they wher both workin before i had ro reinstal the os, i have since instaled the os 2 times but i s till have the problem. But i will give it ago...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  7. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

Ok seems like a software problem to me as it would be rare that this would happen to 2 drives at a time! Plus you have tried a reintsall of XP using these drives right?

How did you do this? When you booted from the CD did you format the drive, actually remove the C:\ partition? or did you just overwrite your existing windows opp sys?

You need to press F8 at the Terms&Conditions screen then it will search for previusly installed opperating systems... It will find your XP pro installation... Press ESC key to go back over to the partition selection screen... Press D for delete partition, then it should ask you ARE YOU SHURE? Press L Key...

Now continue with a FRESH install : ) If that dont work then try a different IDE cable (also make sure you drives are set Master or Slave).. If the IDE cable aint the problem your Mboard could have IDE Controller problems..

Hope that helpes Matey : )

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2005
  8. chrisyg

chrisyg Member

Yes, i deleted the system drive's partition, and then formatted the drive before i reinstalled OS. The dvd drives are on the same setting as before i reinstalled (i only use one of em, but both dont work). I have tried changing to a different ide connex on the mobo and lead (changin the jumper when necessary). I still have the same prob.

I Haven't run a lens cleaner yet as my towns shops are shitty so had to order online.. At the moment that is my only hope..

9. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

Hmm strange! What about only trying one drive at a time?

if you have a friend with a PC you could try it in there computer?

Still is strange though how 2 drives have failed at the same time! (but ive seen a lot of things in my computer working life, and this could be the first one! LOL)

10. chrisyg

chrisyg Member

I only have one of the drives installed, i have 2 dvd drives (Plextor is my main drive and the Lite-on is a spare (back up! - lol) which i dont use).

But both dont work, when installed (only 1 at a time)

Im guessing its not a drive problem but more of a OS problem or mobo ide problem.

I have yet to install in a different machine....

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Is your Plextor set up as master?

12. ddp

have yoy tried another set of ide cables??

13. chrisyg

chrisyg Member

The Plextor is sharing the ide0 with the hdd that has os on it. The dvd drive is therefore set up as slave to the hdd.

I have tried changing the dvd to the ide1 connex and used diff cables, still it does not work.

Thanks guys to all that have helped and suggested things by the way, but this strange matter goes on. :(

14. Rosco404

Rosco404 Guest

Ok one way to see if your drive actually reads is to...
    Put your XP disc in and let it boot as if you were going to install XP again (you know when it says "press any key to boot from cd....") If it boots and starts the XP disc up you know that the drive reads OK and is a Opp Sys problem : )

15. chrisyg

chrisyg Member

Ok ive tried the lens cleaner, still do not read dvds..

Guess its the OS then????

Or both dvd drives are kapput?

16. ddp

have you reseated the power & data cables on the drives??

17. chrisyg

chrisyg Member

Managed to find the reciept for my newest drive (plextor) so have decided to send it back for a replacement, after trying everything suggested here and by Plextor support.

Will be expecting replacement drive in a few days. Will let you all know...

18. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

I have the same LiteON that you do and mine also got to where it would not recognize cd or dvd. However, my buddy at work has the same one and I gave him my LiteOn to try and it worked fine for him, but won't work for me. I finally bought a NEC3250, but found out after I installed it that it was damaged -- open/close button would not work and I sent it back to New Egg for replacement.

19. chrisyg

chrisyg Member

Got my replacement drive from plextor, and this is working, so the drive must have been defective

Shame i dont the reciept for the Lite-on drive as i could do the same...

Thanks to everybody who have suggested things in order to help fix my problem...

20. ddp

teach & learn