1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-dvdr

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cobra1968, Jul 21, 2002.

1. cobra1968

cobra1968 Member

hi there
    newbie here
    can someone help me rip dvd (5.9gig) to dvd-r
    main movie starts at VTS_16_1
    how do i get rid of all the other files

tried the tutorials but i get in a muddle
    thanx

Last edited: Jul 21, 2002
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

cobra1968,

Here ya go good guy, download the programand watch the step be step picture guide, you'll find it's a snap -

This “Newbie Starter Recipe” is for the most part, is as a complete a package as anyone could wish It’s most outstanding plus factor, it only has 2 parts just 2.

It's second great factor, the guides are picture-by-picture, step-by-step, easy-as-pie.

We will start our dish with a main ingredient of DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 –
    It's FREE, can do almost everything you could wish in as few as 3 steps - It will rip your movies (gets rid of that “pesky” copy write protection thingy ;-) in generally 20 to 30 minutes, it can be used for your smaller DVD-5’s and it also allows you to compress your larger DVD-9's to the necessary 4.36GB in order to insure a nice burn without encroaching onto the very edge of the disc.

“But wait there’s MORE !!”

For our friends with just a CD burner to work with, this compression thingy can be used to shrink all but your larger DVD-9’s to a size small enough to split and burn onto 2 CD’s in a mini-DVD format. (We’re talkin’ a pretty fair picture here because we’re still working with our VIDEO_TS BUP, VIDEO_TS IFO, and VIDEO_TS VOB files. ;-) Using CD’s now our cost is pennies a movie, how good is good ?

One of the super good guys here on the forum named Afonic has put together a FANTASTIC, can’t be simpler, guide for you with the antsy CD burners to use and here it is: http://users.auth.gr/~ichatzim/minidvd.htm

(Taking a second to grab a breath before shouting out, like that late night
    info-mercial announcer ;-))

“But wait there’s MORE !!”

For those who like the backups “Their way” (a US colloquium, referring to a hamburger from Burger King) it also allows you to tailor your DVD’s. To keep in or remove menus, Director’s comments, extras and trailers (re-author) PLUS it provides you with a nice neat VIDEO_TS folder for you, perfect to have Nero version 6.0.0.23 burn for you.

(Now it’s time to mix in the second and last part ;-)

“OK” you say, wondering why the old guy is sayin’ “Nero 6”.

It’s that mini-DVD thing I mentioned, it’s right there as a choice under the CD heading.
    That’s my reason why, for those who wish to burn CD’s that will play in 90% of the stand-alone DVD players and all Windows PC’s. I also feel that Nero is a top-notched burning program.

Nero 5.5 is good if you’re not interested in mini-DVD’s or consider RecordNow Max ver.4.5 or CloneDVD both are excellent alternative choices. Actually, I use CloneDVD a lot, I like to watch the sheep animation but it doesn’t have that mini-DVD thing included – so that’s why I recommend Nero 6 as the second “must have” starter program.

A complete DVDShrink program download and step-by-step guide can be downloaded from –
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/DVD_Shrink_v3_beta5.htm

A 30 day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

It's a powerful program, easy to use -
    Give it a quick try, you'll have a perfect burn this afternoon, really –

Enjoy, “P”

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

cobra1968,
    Copy this on a postie, it will make life a breeze -
    HINT: I created a folder on my HD named "DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD’s I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (I.e. DVD Work\Starship Troopers.) When you click "Backup" in DVDShrink, a box will come up saying "Target Folder:” click "Browse" and trace your path back to "DVD Work\Starship Troopers" - when DVDShrink is finished, it will give you your VIDEO_TS folder already made for you in your DVD Work\Starship Troopers folder and you’re good to go. Now, , if you wish, you can burn it days down the road. At one point I had 23 movies sitting there, just waiting for my shipment of blank DVD media to arrive.

When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero (don’t use Wizard) to trace your path back again to DVD Work\Starship Troopers, you don’t have to try to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go – you are done and done –

There are many other recipes for making backups
    this is, I feel, the easiest
    Again, enjoy,
    “P”