1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD editing

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Kylejon, May 1, 2007.

1. Kylejon

Kylejon Member

Hi,

Just wanted to get some info on good DVD editing software that will allow me to make my DVD home movies more professional. By this i mean allowing me to edit the menu, by putting video background, music etc. And by allowing me to have a main menu, with links to Chapter Selection like normal DVD movies.

I've had a look at this program called Sony Vegas7.0+DVD Editing Software. I think it might be what i need, but looks a little expensive. Is there any other cheaper or even better, free program that will do what i need???

I currently use Nero 6 and ConvertXtoDVD.

ConvertXtoDVD doea a great job and is really quick to convert to vob format plus extra quick when it actually comes to burning the material onto that disk. The only problem i find with it is that it is very basic, as it only gives you the standard background option and does not let you organinse your menu.

Nero on the other offers you options on how you want your menu page to look, but is extremly slow at burning vob files onto a disk. And it also does not seem to be able to burn MP4/avi material onto a disk without it being a data DVD disk.

What are some other good programs that offer you options on how your menu is set up??? And is able to convert any format (mpeg, avi, mp4, mov etc.) onto a DVD disk, so that it is watchable on a standard DVD player. And also has fast burning???

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

Authoring mpeg (and VOB) tmpgenc DVD Author.
    The menu options are varied and it will optionally burn the disk.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/advanced_tmpgenc_dvd_author_guide.cfm

I think ConvertX is the best all round converter although the menu option is thin.
    Nero does good basic menu's.

Fast burning and 'coasters' are synonymous.If you burn at 4x using 'Made in Japan' media or Verbatim, then the people on the Nero forum say you can't go wrong.

3. Suba

Suba Regular member

If you want to get some good authoring software check DVD Lab Pro.
    It will take Mpeg2 DVD compliant file or VOB for import, than you can make really Pro looking DVD.
    You have ConvertX for conversion of formats.

4. whassup

whassup Regular member

Another vouch for DVDLab Pro. It's one of the best and the options are endless.

5. Kylejon

Kylejon Member

I just got DVDLab Pro 2.3, but it seems kind of complicated to use. All i'm really interested in doing is making AVI, Mpeg, Mpeg4 videos into DVD's. Is that possible with this program??

Or do i firstly need to convert my files to VOB for it to work??

Or maybe if someone knows of another DVD editing program that may be, equally as good, but easier to use??

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  6. Suba

Suba Regular member

DVD lab need Mpe2 DVD compliant file or VOB. It will not author Mpeg4.
    You can look at this site for other authoring software
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools

7. jony218

jony218 Guest

For editing and converting mpegs to DVD with menus/background music/transitions etc. Try womble mpeg video wizard dvd. It's the fastest that I have found. It does all the editing (frame accurate) without reencoding. It's fairly easy to use.

As far as AVI files, by there nature they can not be edited in a frame accurate manner (only in k-frames which is not very accurate). You would need to convert them to mpeg to edit them. But if you just want to convert AVI files(movie) to dvd "without editing" use Winavi video converter, it's the fastest available.

http://www.womble.com/products/mvw.html

8. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

For ease of use and the ability to import, edit, make menus and author you might look at the uLead stuff. it has a free unlimited trial.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007