1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD encoded(divX6) or shrink(35/40%)

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by omadawn, Feb 14, 2007.

1. omadawn

omadawn Member

Hi
    anyone tryed to encode a long DVD (dixX 5/6) to a size of a blank one (4463mb) and compare the quality of the image of the same DVD compressed 35/40% in DVDshrink (lets say 7/8 Mbps became 4/5 Mbps) ?

does it make any sense?

thanks

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

I re-encoded the LOTR extended versions to 2 * 2GB's Xvid/AC3 avi's (originally anamorphic resolution) each with the extra audio streams as -V 4/5 lame mp3. I would hate to think what they would look like transcoded to a single DVD5.

ASP MPEG-4 is simply more efficient than MPEG-2.

3. omadawn

omadawn Member

Made my experience, this time with Gknot (divX 5): output file size: 4463 Mb, after compression test the bits/pixel/frame lead me to choose the res. of 1280x720. the avi came out perfectly ok.

As i use a video projector to display a huge screen, i guess i will allways have advantage in using this resolution?...

I have seen the movie (from my VGA output of the PC) in a much larger screen than i usualy do with a 720x400 one, and the quality seem to be very similar...the only problem is my standalone not be able to display the higher resolution. What do u guys think of this?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The only advantage to upsizing is that you get to pick the resize algorithm used. If you are using a PC for playback though and it is powerful enough, you can use ffdshow.

Personally I would suggest not resizing at all if possible. Encode at the original resolution. For a normal movie though you probably won't be able to hit 4.37GB's, esp. with DivX 5 since it only supports h263 quants.

Not resizing means that the resolution will be supported by all SAP's. The problem is that not all support 1:1 PAR's.

5. omadawn

omadawn Member

i am going to rip a 8000kbit source now, in avi 720x400 and also 1280x720, dysplay both trough VGA->HCP and then make my image test...