1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Fab

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by gatlin01, Jan 20, 2005.

1. gatlin01

gatlin01 Member

Has anyone used DVD Fab and how do you like it?
    And for the ones who post dvd shrink is free yes I know its free and that DVD Fab cost after the trial period. I just experimenting with programs atm so I would like a little feed back on DVDFab. I just used Fab and like it some.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi gatlin01, welcome to aD,

DVDFab is almost exactly like the old DVD XCopy.

It will backup an entire DVD on 2 discs (most pple hate that and therefore don't use it) OR just the "Movie only" on a single discs which almost every proggy does and does it with better quality than DVDFab.

DVD Shrink is FREE and will backup the entire DVD on a single disc and, using the "quality settings," will do so with hardly a noticable difference to the naked eye for the vast majority of DVD's out there . . .

Much better than average quality for FREE or . . less than average quality for $$$$ ?

Huuuummm, it's a hard choice, I'll have to ponder it over for a while . . .

Naaahhh, it's too hard a choice for me to make, I'll leave it up to you -

Cheers,

Pete

3. tb7025

tb7025 Member

I used DVDfad 2.61 and I really liked it. I enjoy inserting the original and a blank hitting start and then coming back to a finished backup. No messing around! And for me, I could not notice a difference in quality. However, if the DVD is on a DL DVD then I burn it to a DL blank DVD if it is not on a DL DVD then I use a regular DVD blank. I like to get exact back-ups 1:1...

4. dvd_tim

dvd_tim Member

I have used both Fab and shrink, i think they both have pros and cons, i have most all the common dvd coping software, sometimes i get a movie and just have to try different software untell i find one that works well. i use shrink the most, but fab is an excellent piece of software, i don't know if its worth the money. ( i hate spending money on any software) but if you like one-click , walk away and its done then i reccomend fab, if you like a little more control over things then i reccomend shrink or clonedvd2+anydvd.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Try,
    AnyDVD + DVD2One + CopyToDVD

For a fast, high quality backup -

Cheers,

6. Mulox

Mulox Member

I have always used shrink with much success, however I came across 2 movies that are "un-shrinkable" for some strange reason (forgotten and grudge) so I will try this DVD fab. Thanks

7. ExpHobby

ExpHobby Guest

I've been a DVDFab Gold user for about 9 months.
    I'm pretty satisfied. DVDFab is nice for us non-techies
    who want a one program, minimal fuss solution, but
    still want some flexability. You can choose to use
    DVDFab's burner, or use a separate burner, such as Nero. (And DVDFab Platinum allows you to choose
    between compressing down to 1 disk, or splitting
    to 2 disks without compression, or using dual layer
    DVD+RW).
    DVDFab is advertised as being able to handle episodeTV
    DVD's as well - it certainly worked on Star Trek:TNG.
    (Other programs, I suspect can handle episode TV DVD's
    as well, but according to http://dvd-copy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/index.html,
    some programs can't).

DVDFab is not perfect. The current 2.81 version
    doesn't handle: "Harold and Kumar", "Hero"(Jet Li),
    or "Johnny English". There may be other films it
    can't handle. So, it is likely that you'll need more
    than one solution. Or, you'll need to be patient and
    wait for upgrades.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Mulox, welcome to aD,

I have done both Forgotten and Grudge without a problem. To solve yopur problem we need some information:

What are your PC's specs ?

What guide are you using ?

What burner ?

What media ?

Have you updated all your OS updates ? i.e. If you're running XP, do you have SP2 and all the updates for it loaded onboard ?

Have you checked all of your PC's programs to be sure they have all of their drivers and versions updated ? Even if they aren't burning related ? We never know what's important and there's no time like the present :)

Have you tried checking your burning basics ?

Have you flashed your Firmware ?

Do you have a working ASPI layer ?

When was your last Disk Defrag ?
    If you have to think about it, it's been far too long.
    You need to do it now ! ! !

Was there an error ? What exactly did it say ?

Exactly where were you and what are you doing when your error occurred ?

Handy tools to help you find out about your PC ~

To check firmware, at the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your firmware. There are also some firmware updates at this site.

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

ASPI Checker.
    Ascertains your ASPI layer's presence and operation status

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...nguage=English+US&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

DVD Identifier.
    Provides us with important info about your discs.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Nero Info Tool.
    General system information: Drive operation & support
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

Pete

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  9. Mulox

Mulox Member

What are your PC's specs ?
    Dell 400SC with Intel 3.2Ghz cpu, 1gb ram, WD Raptor SATA drive running WinXP SP1.

What guide are you using ?
    guide??

What burner ?
    NEC 3500A

What media ?
    Phillips 8x DVD-R and 8x +R

Have you updated all your OS updates ?
    Yes, always stay current. Only thing I have held off on getting is SP2 (but I have all other updates).

Have you checked all of your PC's programs to be sure they have all of their drivers and versions updated ? Yes

Have you tried checking your burning basics ?
    ??

Have you flashed your Firmware ?
    Yes, have latest.

Do you have a working ASPI layer ?
    Yes

When was your last Disk Defrag ?
    Just intalled new OS on the Raptor, so it's fresh.

Was there an error ? What exactly did it say ?
    No error. Shrink just won't bring it to a single DVD size. BUT it will burn in Nero as dual layer. This makes no sense because I have backed up over 200 dvd's using shrink and never had this problem before.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Mulox,

Yes guide - something that tells you what you're doing and how to do it OR are you just muddling around not knowing how things work and guessing what to settings put where ?

Since there are many critical updates for SP2 it's kind of a major lapse isn't it? Kind of like saying, Yes, I have my car serviced every 3,000 miles BUT I never change the oil. It's certainly something you should look into - Though for this particular problem I can't see as it has any bearing.

The operative word here is WORKING. Did you check it with an ASPI Checker to insure that it is working properly ?

It would seem that you need to change your DVD Target size to "Custom", and set the size to, 4360MB as it sounds as if you're setting is for a DVD-9.

Cheers,

Pete

If you ever decide to follow a guide instead of just guessing at what you're doing, there are a couple of good guides for DVD Shrink with either Nero or DVDD in my sig :)

11. Mulox

Mulox Member

Thanks for the tips Scuba Pete. Since I have been using Shrink for almost 2 years now, and have not had any problems burning over 200 dvds in the last 6 months, I don't think I need a guide. =)

Also, since the 2 problem dvds I mentioned, I have burned another 20 dvds using Shrink with no problems (using the same version of Shrink, same media and burner, settings, etc.). So if the problem was with ASPI layer or an OS update, one would think the problem would be consistent, and not isolated to 2 movies.

Regardless, I will doublecheck ASPI and custom size anyway, because I am out of alternatives.

Thanks

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Mulox,

Actually, iffin you need alternatives, lQQking at guides may be a good way to go ~

That way you learn from pple who know how to use the programs, that can save a lot of time rather than try to find your way around without reading anything -

You'll find some easy guides in my sig and a ton more if you use the "search" function at the top of each page -

Cheers,

Pete