1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Flick or VSO ConvertXtoDVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Hieuly77, Apr 9, 2009.

1. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Do note that CXD encoding works a bit differently than most apps when it comes to filling a DVD. If using 'High Quality - Slow' with a movie with a lot of high action you actually don't want a full disc, >95% occupancy, in this case the 'Medium' setting will produce a smaller output but CXD will have more bitrate available to assign to the complex scenes. It is usually the complex scenes where we notice problems/artifacts. The 'Quality' settings in CXD should be viewed as 'Profiles'. Also with longer run times (say a 150+ minute movie with 1/2 action) the 'Medium' setting should produce the best quality. Let your eyes be your guide.

2. Hieuly77

Hieuly77 Member

Ok thanks. I didn't realize that. I just assumed that if you put high quality then the conversion would be better.

3. CAGal

CAGal Regular member

It is normal you thought that Hieuly77, everyone does, and I did for a very long time, because the wording used for these setting is rather very poor and inaccurate of the their actual behavior.

In addition to what MysticE said:
    ConvertXtoDVD has its own automatic and rather accurate method of calculating how to distribute bitrate based on the length in time of a total project.

Here is a good rule of thumb to follow:
    0-80 minutes select high setting
    80-160 minutes medium setting
    over 160 minutes low setting

(low and medium doesn't mean really low quality- but start will low base in order to be able to attribute bitrate nicely throughout entire movie-especially complex scenes)

The average level for bitrate is higher or lower based on the high, medium, or lower settings. That way, depending on the length of the file, more bitrate will be available for complex scenes (and attribute less to "simple" scenes. Setting at medium generally will insure that for average long conversions (1 movie) the engine will have sufficient bitrate to distribute throughout the whole file will providing sufficient amount to complex scenes (as not to see a drop in quality). 2 pass encoding is a good way avoid problem encoders can have with such bitrate distribution. 2 pass when integrated into ConvertXtoDVD will probably not show much of a difference as it already has a "smart" way of calculating bitrate distribution based on length of project conversions.

4. taisho

taisho Member

Hieuly77

All the tech stuff aside. DVD Flick is a great program for the price, and for the picture is gives you. An last, for the interaction.
    Many say it is a must because CX2DVD has so many more options. I have both of them and I say to that-so what! Do you want to spend your time watching great movies or playing with "shadow effects".
    I will give CX2DVD credit it is faster at processing. My thing right now is putting titles on the DVDs. CX2DVD let me down in that dept(have question on another thread). Where as Flick has a very easy and interactive subtitle area. The folks at VSO even said they are working on CX2DVD, making that area better.

I say, if your working and can afford VSO, buy it for the speed. It is good and reliable. It has even greater potential. But, you cant beat D Flick,a great price. Personally, I like that you get a look at the movie with it subtitles before you record. VSO, said that a feature like that is too difficult. That is a can do spirit! Where as, DVD Flick appears to be Human led, rather than Engineer led software. Yes, and it is the Pit Bull of conversion Software.

Taisho

5. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

I stopped using dvd flick a while back, when during a conversion of "Benjamin Buttons" the audio was off by quite a bit. ConvertX2DVD was able to put it back in sync easily.

Also, I had problems with converting other types of files to dvd (mp4, mpg, mpeg) and it would not allow alot of the subtitle files, where as CXD did.

AVItoDVD did a very good job converting, but it was very picky on the type of files it would convert, and would take several hours to complete.

6. taisho

taisho Member

rtm27
    Your note on DVD Flick is right on! MysticE was spot on also, except what was that on dyslexic buttons?
    Good News on ConvertXtoDVD, it is coming out with its ver.4x so we'll see!
    While many on the forum are big on aspect ratios and naturally, picture quality.
    The issue to me is subtitles. Why, because of the web and Air travel, we now live on the United States of Earth (another one is "peon Earth Union", least that’s what you feel like when you see what your Euro buys). Nowdays you don't have to just watch what your countries' station puts on or what your theatre's say is the next great movie. Afterdawn has played a big part in this communication revolution.
    My point on Subtitles is the software companies all have different features. But speed, clarity and transparency are tops! Yet,Cx2 said they won't put the movie (or episode)on their Text Editor. Too difficult? They will allow a jpg.
    DVDFlick has this feature, each episode pops up on the Subtitle Editor and when you change the font or the margin you see it right there, before you burn a copy. Reason I don't use DFlick much is it's tempermetal when it has "overlapping timestamps". The actors title at the top of the screen and their dialogue at the bottom, running in sequence. Just throws DFlick for a loop.
    If you remember the old Super DVD Creator, although a non existent Subtitle editor, it has a great feature. You can click and "photo" any scene and have it be either your background or and episode "still"from the menu. I like Cx2's little "movie in a menu", yet they make their menu's too many layers deep. Two clicks and back to the Movie. Nah, forgetaboutit! Oddly, the menu can have "running video", up to eight or ten. Yet they say it can't be done in the editor.
    Suppose I ask too much for christmas! So tell me, software engineers is my logic flawed? Is it really to difficult to stick with the best and throw out the rest? VSO needs to hire some DVD Flick software folk and bring the sharpest package out.
    ConvertXtoDVD, good luck with ver. 4x

7. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

I've updated to CONVERTXTODVD version 4, So far nothing noticeably special.