1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd format running through old receivers

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by davepro, Jun 4, 2005.

1. davepro

davepro Member

I have a sony str-av720 reciever that is about 10 yrs old. I ran a vcr through it and some old pioneer cd player and those both worked fine with good sound and good picture, but now i got a samsung dvd player hooked into it and the sound plays but the picture on the tv won't. Does this meen my reciever is too old to recieve dvd format? Or does it matter how old a reciever is? thanks

2. a-vman

a-vman Member

composit output(yellow RCA) is no different from DVD than VCR. If your sony switches video then you should be able to hook up the yellow cable from DVD to sony. From monitor out on Sony to TV video input. If your Sony does not have these inputs then go straight from DVD to TV. If this does not work you have a problem with your DVD player.
    By the way you are not getting all the sound you DVD player will put out. Your 10 year old receiver is only pro-logic. get a new Digital receiver and connect it with digital cables and be prepared to be amazed at the difference in quality.

3. davepro

davepro Member

Hey allen thanxs so much it worked. Now I guess the next thing I have to do is save up for a digital receiver.

dave

4. a-vman

a-vman Member

very welcome