1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd freeze

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by mag050928, Mar 27, 2003.

1. mag050928

mag050928 Guest

i have read the messages on here and tried the diffrent discs and software the forum has suggested but my backup dvds are still freezing i have used four diffrent kinds of discs and and 3 diffrent burning software its cost me a fortune can any body please help me i am so frustraighted i have used nero and prassi primo and unlead movie ect why does my dvds keep freezing i would be greatful for any help thankyou

2. motions1

motions1 Member

I went thru the very same thing. I finally bought a Toshiba 4800 DVD player and the freezing problems stopped.

I tried every brand of media, several re-encoders, and 3 burning programs.

I am a believer that the player itself is the answer. Buy a good player (not a $99 special) and try it.

3. malum

malum Regular member

Which four different types of disc have you tried?

4. motions1

motions1 Member

malum, you are everywhere.

I tried Princo at first, then Ritek, Memorex, Optodisc, and Bulkpack.

I seem to have the best luck with Princo so I'm using that again.

5. malum

malum Regular member

I meant mag050928 but no matter.

Bulkpaq are rebranded Princo BTW

6. malum

malum Regular member

As a note if you do buy a new player take some discs with you to try out, different brands etc
    and have them skip through the chapters to the end of the disc to make sure it all works fine.

7. motions1

motions1 Member

That was my plan but Best Buy doesn't have them all hooked up. They just sit on a shelf.

I did quite a bit of research before I bought my Toshiba SD-4800 and I'm very happy with it so far.

8. mag050928

mag050928 Guest

i cant remember the name of the first lot i bought but the other discs i tried are bulk general purpose the yellow datesafe then bulk grade a and everyone freezes

9. phuocle

phuocle Member

Definitely player isssues... my Daewoo chokes on a lot of backups half-way through, but not all the time. Sometimes it'll play the same disc all the way through and other times it doesn't.

My Sony progessive scan on the other plays everything I've thrown at it so far...

[So why the Daewoo? Not only does it play all regin disc, but it automatically converts PAL -> NTSC... even ifoedit can't do that!!!]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2003
  10. motions1

motions1 Member

Thank you phuocle for some backup.

11. malum

malum Regular member

You can look at it either way but at the end of the day it's an error correction issue with some standalones giving better error correction than others. If you don't have the errors on the media then you don't have a problem with the standalone

12. motions1

motions1 Member

Why not try this. Buy the best player you can find and don't worry about trying to find the "right" media that will work.

A player that plays anything is a good player. Then you can save some money on discs.

What it all comes down to is find what works best for your situation. It's a long time off for a standard to be set in copying movies.

13. malum

malum Regular member

I agree that whatever works for your situation is fine. However, as I pointed out in another thread, if you use crappy media it kind of limits your options for the future and stops you lending your movies to your mates.

I have a player that plays pretty much anything and I also have a player that doesn't like crap media. I am very surprised that your first player didn't like G03's as they are as close to a gold standard as you can get in the present unstandardised world of DVD-R.

Princo may well have improved since the first lot I bought but they aren't getting a second chance from me.

Running Neros disc checker (can't remembner what it's called) from a non burning DVD drive reveals a lot about the media. The Princo's fail miserably in the last quarter of the disc which is where the standalones have the most problems

14. malum

malum Regular member

"i cant remember the name of the first lot i bought but the other discs i tried are bulk general purpose the yellow datesafe then bulk grade a and everyone freezes "

OK there's a case in point, these discs are probably all exactly the same Princos (rebranded) hence they all failed. Bulkpaq and datasafe Yellow are both Princos

Try Riteks and see how you get on.

15. motions1

motions1 Member

I did try Ritek as I have said before. They were the worst I've used so far. I can't get them to hold more than 4GB and they still froze in my old player.

I may try something else to see. Is there any media that anyone can recommend other than Ritek that is successful? Optodisc, fuji, etc.

16. malum

malum Regular member

Again, I wasn't refering to you I was refering to mag050928.

17. mag050928

mag050928 Guest

hi malum thanks for replying to me i will keep trying other discs for now maybe think about getting a diffrent dvd player the dvd player i have is suppose to play everything you throw at it so i wrote to the guy i bought it from and explained he said i am useing the wrong discs useing datasafe i should be useing datawrite and the problem would go away so i will try and get discs this weekend to try once again thankyou for replying

18. malum

malum Regular member

If you are in the UK www.blankdiscshop.co.uk lists the lead in data for the discs they sell. You want G03 or G04 the former being cheaper the latter being 4X writable