1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD freezing only after certain time played.. not position of movie?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by kris, Jan 23, 2006.

1. kris

kris Member

first off i wanna say.. this site kicks ass.. ive been reading posts for a while .. but just decided to sign up because of a problem im having that i havent resolved..

heres the problem i seem to be having .. whenever i backup a dvd .. i always put it in and preview it for a bit.. check the scene selections.. browse each scene for a minute or two to make sure everything is ok..

well sometimes.. when i go back to watch the movie at a later time.. it runs and plays just fine until somewhere between the middle and end of the move (seems to be random with each movie) .. this isnt always the case with every dvd.. but just enough to piss me off..

so ill stop the movie because it freezes and wont play.. but when i turn off the player.. eject the disc.. and put it back in and select the scene where it last froze.. it will play just fine??

wtf?? could this be a problem associated with the length of time the movie is played??

heres what im using...
    *brand new Sony dru-810 burner
    *brand new LG lda-511 dvd player
    *sony dvd-r
    *i always burn at 4x

the only thing i can think of is the labels.. i know that labels can be bad.. but i havent fully decided that labels are causing the problem..

any help would be greatly appreciated..

thanks

2. colw

colw Active member

Labels are bad - remove

3. dvdnuts

dvdnuts Member

@COLW

Hi,

is it true that labels create problems?

i have played a lot of labelled dvds on my olsd Sony,

just got a new Pioneer, but have problems on some of my custom labelled dvds. I had a previous Lite-on dvd that will NOT play all the labelled dvds?

u know why ?

if I remove the labels, will that solve the play problem ?..since its very hard to remove the glue...

4. colw

colw Active member

@dvdnuts

The general consensus of most experienced members is not to use labels on burnt DVDs. They can unbalance the disk and/or cause heat issues. There have been many threads on this issue (e.g. see below)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/233080

In many cases the removal of labels has resolved playback problems.

5. dvdnuts

dvdnuts Member

@colw

thanks for the help.
    another question: if i remove the labels using steam, will that work ?
    since steam could damage the media itself right ?

coz with water it will take too long. its a strong glue..

ANYONE knows ?