1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD GLITCH

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by GRAYMATER, Nov 19, 2007.

1. GRAYMATER

GRAYMATER Member

hello to everyone, newbie here, hoping there are a couple technonerds that can help with a problem i'm having.

on a dvd movie i recently purchased i am getting a glitch in the same location on two different computers and one dvd player, but on my second player it plays right thru like it isn't there.

the scene where it glitches is an explosion with loud noise. the screen sort of freezes for a second and then plays on.

now i know that all equipment is not created equal but can someone tell me if there is a way to fix this, i.e. software or firmware upgrade or whatever.

also why, if the movie plays, doesn't it glitch on both players.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

It sounds like it's the layer change. Does it happen near the middle of the movie, or even a little past the middle?
    Some players handle the layer change better than others. Mine does like your's. Players with a bigger buffer size, may play right through the layer change, so that you never notice it.

This is normal, and nothing to worry about. It just takes a second to do this, right? It also happens with most dvds, right?

3. GRAYMATER

GRAYMATER Member

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT JVC BUT THE PROBLEM HAPPENS JUST SHORT OF 3 MINUTES INTO MOVIE AND ALSO I CAN'T SEE THEM PUTTING A LAYER EXCHANGE AT A POINT OF SUCH HIGH ACTIVITY.

ALSO WANTED TO MAKE CLEAR THAT THE PLAYER THAT THIS PLAYS ON PROPERLY IS A STAND ALONE PANASONIC RECORDER/PLAYER.

IF THIS IS NOT SOME KIND OF UPGRADE TO FIRMWARE ISSUE I WOULD LIKE TO TRY AND FIND OUT, IF PURCHASING A NEW UNIT, WHAT I HAVE TO LOOK FOR IN A UNIT THAT I WON'T RUN INTO THE SAME PROBLEM.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Only other thing I can think of is that you got hold of a bad pressing of the movie, and the Panasonic overlooks the error. Some players play scratched discs, better than others. If the movie is new, exchange it for another one, and see if it still happens.
    Good luck!

5. GRAYMATER

GRAYMATER Member

I DON'T KNOW JVC, I STILL THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH UPGRADING. I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A NEW UNIT.

6. JVC

JVC Active member

If it's doing it on more than one machine, it's not an upgrade. I think it's a bad disc.

It could be some sort of copy protection on the disc, that causes a problem with PC drives, but you have a regular player not playing it too.

7. morguex

morguex Guest

You have a bad pressing, exchange it for a new one.

Good Luck
    P.S. turn off the caps.

8. GRAYMATER

GRAYMATER Member

Thanks for responses. I want to try it in one more newer unit before I give in to the possibility of a bad pressing. this newer unit is the same brand (panasonic), but different model number as the other unit it played on correctly.

9. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

My inlaws have a Panasonic and it can be picky at times. I own two Sony's and they will play just about anything that I throw at them...I've also read that they can be picky too, but I've not experienced any problems with them. Samsung makes a good standalone player with upconvert and you have the Toshiba HD-DVD players that should be good players too.

10. JVC

JVC Active member

A newer player may not prove anything. As I said, some players play through errors better than others. I've had a couple movies I bought at a flea market, that were scratched kinda bad. They wouldn't play on computer, but did play in standalone player.

If you have a friend with same movie, borrow theirs and try it. If theirs plays ok, you know it's the disc. If no friends have it, rent it from BlockBuster. It's worth a rental, to find out the problem.....

11. GRAYMATER

GRAYMATER Member

things like this just bug me because nothing seems to be stable in electronics. everybody's always trying to figure out somebody else's glitches, nothing is an easy fix, or so it seems.
    i have a dvd collection of over 1600 store bought movies and i like to see stuff work right. it seems that instead of enjoying your eqipment, 90% of the time you're trying to fix it.

12. varnull

varnull Guest

more addressed to loco, but maybe others will remember..

Didn't we have a spate of faulty dvd's a couple of months back?. At least 2 films I seem to remember were listed as "return for refund as all copies are faulty"

comments?

About standalone players.. I have an ancient and cheap Dansai player which will play just about any disk I put in it.. +-rw printed ramdisk finalized or not scratched to hell and back.. anything but Maxell +r . A dumpster box lacking it's remote, bent and scratched with paint spilled on it...(and a samsung 602a drive) Why can't they make them like that now??

13. GRAYMATER

GRAYMATER Member

Answering my own post because the other panasonic player i tried worked flawlessly. so to review......
    that one particular movie glitched in three lite-on drives all the same model number SOHW1633 I believe, one JVC stand alone unit, and one radio shack combo DVD/VHS player, but yet it played perfectly in both my panasonic recorder/player and another older stand alone panasonic player. i guess the panasonic has more buffer room or something that is able to handle what is a very loud. very bright explosion scene in the movie.
    by the way the movie is "SAHARA" with Matthew McConnehy and the scene is when a mortar shell gets a direct hit on a ship at 2:45 into movie.

14. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

AFAIK there were a few Sony releases that were deemed "faulty" due to all the protection placed on the disc, but I can't remember which ones they were. Sahara wasn't one of them.

15. GRAYMATER

GRAYMATER Member

It would be nice if we all could upgrade our equipment every day because that's how often you'd have to do it to keep up with the industry. especially computers, you buy a new system and it's outdated in less than a month.