1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-lab problems

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by sinister7, Apr 7, 2005.

1. sinister7

sinister7 Member

ok guys and gals, I've been backing up dvd's for some time now, put downloaded movies to VCD/SVCD, and have just begun to dabble in ps2 backups.Also I think I should let everyone know that I have never posted anything on any forum ever.....so please bear with me.
    As i said ive put downloaded movies to vcd/svcd before, however i haven't tried to put one to dvd yet. So here is the problem i recently downloaded an mpeg-1 format full length movie (a very watchable copy i might add). Now I have tried to burn it to dvd
    by using dvd-lab, it popped up a warning telling me that it may have a problem because it was in mpeg-1 format and not mpeg-2(svcd/dvd mpeg format) and i should transcode the audio, so i did. Eureka it worked so I go about my business.... a couple of hours later i go to watch it and much to my dismay it only burned 30mins and 16 secs of the 2hr movie! So i spent all night trying to fix it. I used Xillsoft's video converter to put the movie into mpeg-2 and once again it plays all the way on the PC but when I go to burn it it tells me that the movie length is 30 mins 16 secs. Now none of the software im using is a trial version (Most of it is cracked to tell the truth). I also attempted to convert it to .vob format but i had to go to work before i could do anything with it and im not expecting much. any help i could get would be greatly appreciated.I think this is an excellent site with very knowledgable patrons and hope tohear from you guys soon. Thanks

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Get Tmpgenc. www.pegasys.com or www.tmpgenc.net
    Open it, cancel the wizard.
    Select File, Mpeg tools.
    Click on the "Simple De-multiplex" tab.
    Click the Browse button next to INPUT.
    Find your video.
    Click Run...wait a few minutes.
    This has now produced two files. An .m1v and a .mpa or .mp2
    Get FFMPEGGUI (it's free).
    Click Browse, beside audio source, and load the audio file (the mpa/mp2) and select 224kbps, 48khz, AC3.
    Click the Browse button beside audio output. Give it a name, and click OK.
    Click Convert.
    Wait a few minutes, till it's done.
    Open DVDLab. Import the m2v video, and the newly made AC3 audio.
    Make your menu(s), compile and burn.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  3. sinister7

sinister7 Member

Thanks alot for the info Rebootjim I'm going to try that as soon as i get home from work. I'll post whether or not it works for me when i ts done. Thanks again.

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Because DVDLabs demuxer isn't the best, it is always advisable to do your audio externally, preferrably to AC3 (which is 100% dvd compliant), and then import elementary streams into DVDLab.

5. sinister7

sinister7 Member

Ok...well I guess were getting warmer I followed everything rebootjim said and now im getting close to 40 minutes of the movie instead of 30. I also noticed while doing the simple de-mulitplex that both the audio and the video would reach around 25% or so then all of a sudden jump to 100%. And if my math serves me correctly that 40 mins of a 2hr movie is a little over 25%. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance to whoever can help.

6. sinister7

sinister7 Member

Alright people, after some trial and error I finally managed to get the movie to dvd. I used xillsoft video encoder to convert my mpeg-1 file to .vob (which also changed the audio to .ac3) then followed the manual for creating a dvd on dvd-lab's help menu. Thanks again to those who helped me and i hope this helps someone else out there.

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The errors probably occured because of corruption in the original mpeg-1 you downloaded. Either that, or the original encoder had NO idea what he/she was doing, and screwed it up from the start.
    Welcome to the joys of downloaded video! :)