1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Labels not a good thing ?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by dansisler, Dec 6, 2003.

1. dansisler

dansisler Member

I have been decorating my DVDrs with the sticker/labels and using "CD Stomper" to apply....I have been running into error prbs using DVD Shrink with these discs once applied! ie it wont let me rip to the HD...have i done wrong here or what?!? are the labeles too big and not allow the software to recognize to contents of the discs?? do I have a better option (ie no sticker lables) and just use a Sharpie??

anyone else in my boat?

- Dan Sisler

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Dan,
    I've been sticking the labels on my DVDs too. I haven't had any problems so far. I know that it's not recommended but the reason is usually something to do with disc balance and the possibility of them coming loose. I don't know why there would be a problem reading the disc, does it play in your DVD player? Ya got the labels on the right side of the disc? Sorry had to ask LOL!
    Frank

3. dansisler

dansisler Member

Here is the error that I am experiencing, one that only happens with my "labeled" DVDrs:

CDvdCSS :: Read Failed
    The reason is : Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy)

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

The only time I seem to get that error is with a damaged or dirty disc. Do all your labeled discs fail? I use the Nero label installer so I'm not sure how your stomper installs the label, could you be getting some disc damage from that?

5. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

I put labels on all my backup DVD's. I use CD stomper pro...the thinnest labels available. No problems playing on my pc, standalone, or portable dvd players.

cheezzzz_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just another lonely Hawaiian with:
    P4 2.66Ghz, 120gb HD (7200rpm)
    2X512mb DDR333 (PC2700) SDRAM
    Sony DVD RW DW-U12A(OEM for DRU500AX)
    Smartipper/DvdDecrypter
    CloneDVD/AnyDVD
    Dvd2one/Nero6Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2003
  6. Minion

Minion Senior member

I have had Problems with Labels that cover the whole Top of the Disk But if I just Put a Small sticker on the Top and Bottom centre of the Disk i don"t have any problems...I have has Labels come loose while being Played and ones that were badly Ballanced which caused a Lot of Problems...I mostly Just use a Magic marker now because of the problems with some labels....

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, My Sony player doesn't mind labels so I use them. But I had a strange experience at my daughters house on Thanksgiving. I backed up 4 movies for her a while back on +r media that wouldn't play on her Toshiba player. I researched her player and found out it only plays -R so I re copied the movies and took them over on Thanksgiving. The 1st one they played(Daredevil), played about 1/2 hr then froze up solid. After cleaning the disc and playing around for 20 minutes, I remembered the label problem. I removed it and it played all the way through. I also removed the labels from the +R movies. This is where it gets funny. The +R movies play on her machine too, even though all charts say they won't work. Guess you never know unless you try something. Jerry

8. Buik

Buik Regular member

Forget the 1 cent printed labels. They are nothing compared to messing up your player. Long live sharpie pens.

It does not make any difference what label maker program you use. It is all about basic physics. Check your labeled DVD's for any bubbles.

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Jerry,
    I never tried removing a label, can you just peel em off? I wonder if maybe the label is causing a wobble when the disc is spinning. I took apart a drive and they have a cone shaped mechanism that engages the DVD thru the center hole. Maybe the label is interfering with that.
    I've been using Fellowes matte CD labels with no problems. Even when one came loose on one side I could hear it ticking inside the drive but it didn't affect the play. I just popped it out and pressed the label back down.
    Frank

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Frank, How is it going? The labels I removed were only on about 1 month(the oldest one). They peeled off pretty easy. Left some glue but we use GOO GONE in the appliance department to take off old tape. Its citrus orange base and doesn't hurt anything. Just let it soak into the label a while and it will come right off. It won't hurt plastic. Just clean with soap and water after if needed.
    Jerry

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Again, Jerry, Are you going to buy AnyDVD and CloneDVD? My trials about up and I think I'm gonna buy em. AnyDVD is so cool. It makes Shrink see the disc as decrypted. It works with Nero Recode the same way. I think it would let Decrypter work as a burn only program. I'm bored so I'm just mixing programs around to see what happens. hehe
    Frank

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I tried anydvd behind Nero Recode too. It worked good but took forever to rip. It was a long movie though. SW attack of the clones. Frank, if you feel like sending me a PM with your e-mail address, I have some interesting information for you about Anydvd. Jerry

13. dansisler

dansisler Member

I havent had probs _playing_ the Labeled DVDrs, just DVDShrinking them to the HD...

14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi dansisler, I just re-read your 1st post. I think we got the wrong idea. You are trying to rip a copy with shrink again and it won't read. Is this right.
    If yes, its because its already decrypted. If you want to re-copy a copy, just use any of the disc copy programs built into either Nero, Roxio, or recordnow. Once a movie is decrypted the 1st time it is a plain disc easy to copy again. Hope I read this right. If not, I'm wrong. Jerry

15. dansisler

dansisler Member

I burned the disc from recordings off my TV with a standalone PanasonicHS-2. I am looking to back these up on my computer based burner. DVDShrink freezes at 48%, I d/l DVDRipper and another software and both freeze at 48%. I then tried DVD copy function with NERO and suffered an error function...

it's those damn labels!!!!!

16. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Labels [bold]can[/bold] cause problems. But doesn't mean they will. Some of the DVD players I use have no issues with the labels, others do.

I know I create DVD's for people (wedding videos, etc) and would like them to look more professional that I ever could with a Sharpie. Unfortunately the labels caused coasters on a significant number of discs.