1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd labels

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by gibby94, Jun 23, 2004.

1. gibby94

gibby94 Member

is there a website where i can print off labels to put on my dvd movies? i seen one with al pacino and the scarface logo on the dvd-r a friend bought from a guy at work

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You can find them here,

http://www.cdcovers.cc/

Now I have never had any trouble with labels but lots of folks here disagree with using them. I can't argue with them. My first hundred or so back-ups have labels but then I changed to the anti-label camp. Not because I'm having problems, but it wastes ink in my printer and I'm lazy. Get a Sharpie!

Cheers,
    Frank

3. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

i tell you what fasfrank i got some of those nice glossy labels and guess what it peeled off inside my dvd with the heat never again
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]pentium 4 3,2ghz 1gig ddr 2700
    asusp4p800 delux mobo's
    120gig sata hdd's
    gforce fx 5600 8x agp
    6.1 sound
    no fancy lights way to girly
    all times 3
    rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2004
  4. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

All the labels I put on my first 50 back-ups are bubbling up and pealing off now. Most of them will not play, even if I remove the label from the disc. I have switched to printable discs and an Epson R200. Much better quality and zero errors.
    I also had the same problem kcc76 did, but with cds not dvds. After the label pealed off inside my cars cd player, it never worked right again.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Havin a label stuck inside your player could really ruin the evening's entertainment! I had one with a loose edge and could hear it. It sounded like cards flippin against bicycle wheel spokes.
    Speaking of things stuck in drives, did you guys ever read the post about having that little white ring that comes with a stack of DVDs getting stuck inside a drive? If I remember correctly, he pulled the drive and shook it out. It sure wasn't an Aspi layer problem. Hehe. I would have never figured that out.

Cheers,
    Frank

6. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

I have always used Neato labels on my cdr's with no problems and now I will try one on a dvd and I hope I don't have the problems people stated here.

Is there a difference using a labels on dvd's because like I said I use them on cdr's and I make a lot of cdr's,I have made a couple of thousand in the past two years and no one has had any problems with the labels I put on them.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Al[/small]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Mrlovkim, we meet again. I highly recommend you do not pursue this course of action. For every success story with labels, there are 10 horror stories. the decision, of course lies with you, You can lead a horse to water.....

8. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

I do hear you, but I have to say I have burned at least 6000 cdr's and put labels on every one of them and never ever had any problems, I am not trying to sound ignorant but I have never heard of this problem and I know many friends who burn and never had any problems.

Now maybe it different with DVD's I don't know I am new to this, but cdr's never ever a problem.

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

" maybe it is different with dvd's", it is very different with dvd's. That's all I have to say about it. do what you will.

10. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

I will stay away from putting labels on DVD's then.

Thanks

11. forkndave

forkndave Member

I agree about labels being bad. They have caused me many problems on DVDs, but for some reason not on CDs. I guess because the burn marks on a DVD are a lot smaller and more prone to error when reading. Another place to download covers is http://daprogger.mine.nu . They have higher quality labels and covers. They have much bigger files and are sometimes very slow to download, but the quality is usually worth the wait. I go to them more for case inserts than anything. Sometimes they are 5 or 6 MB in size compaired to about 300 KB at the other site. I don't use labels any more. I bought an Epson R300 printer which prints on the DVD or CD. I would have bought the R200, but it wasn't out yet. I got to pay an extra $80.00 for features I don't use. Oh well.

12. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

Thanks for those sites guys, they will be very helpful.:)

13. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

If anyone wants to use sticky labels on their discs, please feel free to do so, then in a few months time, come back to these forums and ask us ex-label users the best methods for removing the damn things, lol.

Dene

14. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If pretty discs are a must then the investment in a printer that prints directly to disc would be a wise one :)

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Labels do cause problems even if they aren't apparent they are likely to increase read errors and cause skipping. In extrme cases they can cause damage to your palyer. My favorite labeling method is the good old sharpie. I comes in green, blue, black, and red, all the colors you'll ever need. If I missed a color could someone let me know?

16. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you mix the blue and red you get purple!

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm! Before or after you begin your calligraphy?