1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Labels

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Iomega01, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Iomega01

Iomega01 Member

I've been reading this board lately and learning more than I can ever imaging about DVD media and drives. Anyways... I've always used those sticker label and now understand that they are not good.

Is using one of those inkjet printers from epson to print directly onto the DVD better? Will this deteriorate over time? Thanks.

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Eventually, yes. but we are talking many years.....

3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Sticky paper-based labels will damage DVDs because the paper expands and contracts with moisture in the air. Sticky polyester labels designed for DVDs are far better if you have to use sticky labels. Although the application of these labels does slightly increase the number of errors on a disc, probably due to minute scratches during the application, they do not affect the mechanical properties of the disc the way paper labels do.

All discs deteriorate over time. Ink-jet printers should have no influence over the rate of deterioration (although some early coatings suffered from curing contractions that cupped the discs and caused failures.)