1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD made - couple of issues

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kismetkat, Mar 4, 2007.

1. kismetkat

kismetkat Member

I seemed to have successfully copied my first movie onto disc. It plays well but here's a problem:

After putting the movie into my DVD player - It plays fine, but I can't fast forward, rewind, pause, etc. It won't even stop the disc, if I hit "stop" it will pause it...but then goes to play within a few seconds.

My question would be...is it my DVD player or something that went wrong in the burning process? It is a cheap DVD player as my main one just crapped out.

2nd question...wow! Took all my will power not to eject the disc in the hopes that it was supposed to sound like that. When burning the DVD I thought my case was going to blow up...It was loud and clanking...is this normal??

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Your DVD player is controlled by your remote and it does rely on a correctly burned DVD to work right.

Burners should not make scary noises when burning. A whir or a "turbo" whine is ok but not loud clanking, clunking sounds.

I have had occasion to put a bad blank disc in and that does make the burner go nuts trying to find it. That can make a bit of a racket as the head moves back and forth.

Make sure to use only good media. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are recommended... Here is a more detailed list.

If your burner can play a DVD/CD without making a bunch of noise then it ought to be able to burn it at the about the same noise level I would think. Maybe a bit noiser...burning is moving things faster than playback.

Good media burned at a moderate speed should solve your playback problems.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  3. kismetkat

kismetkat Member

Thanks for the info.

The DVD's I was using were Sony...which I thought was one of the better brands. I will go buy Verbatim...but are the Sony's now junk? I don't thing I can take them back now that they are opened. Would they be ok for Backing up only? If I do use them..will they wreck my burner?

4. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

No kismetkat sony are not bad disc's. When you purchase the sony's just make sure they are made in japan disc. Just read the label to get that information. Sonys made in japan are damn good and close to taiyo yuden discs. Yes varbatim is better but your also going to pay for it.i rather have a decent disc at the price of .20 cents each rather than have a real good disc at the price of .50 to .75 a disc. And taiyo yuden i would not recommend unless you plan on making a living of it or the movies are that precious to you. Taiyo disc a very high priced and for a beginner not recommended.I myself Use sonys and when they are on sale i use verbatim. I myself cant justify buying taiyo yuden. if my disc goes bad i burn another all my movies are backed up on a hard drive ready to burn so i never have to back to the original movie.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  5. kismetkat

kismetkat Member

Thanks for the info.
    They are Sony from Taiwan. Not sure what I am going to do with them now.

I did pick up Verbatims today from Staples. On sale 50/$15.99. I will give these a go and hope for the best.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If you're talking about a stand alone DVD player, will it play a store bought DVD? If not it's the player, but it's probably the disc's fault. IMHO As fasfrank says DVD burner should not make bad scary noises.

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are especially recommended for beginners. The proven consistent quality of this media is undisputed. Beginners will not have media problems with these.
    Sonys can be confusing for beginners because unless they look at the labels carefully they may end up with the inferior Tiawanese discs.

Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are about the same price. Verbatim are easier to get in retail stores.

Cheap media is not recommended.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

And you can get good media @$.30 each. I have both Sony TYs and Verbatims. I have never paid more than $.30 apiece. You just have to watch the Sunday circulars for the sales. Never pay retail!

You can buy cheap media, or you can buy cheap Verbatims or Sonys; the choice is yours.

9. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Thank you Garmoon thats exactly my point. i understand what you mean fastfrank but for a beginner that will make mistakes to keep on ruining expensive media like taiyo yuden when just learning i would not recommend that was my point.I dont recommend cheap media but sony,s Made in japan and verbatims on sale are Good media and "Cheap" good for the beginners. Just trying to save them a buck or two and still get good results..

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  10. kismetkat

kismetkat Member

To clarify it was my DVD Burner that was making garage like noises.

I will try the Verbatims...so hopefully all goes well.

I appreciate everyones input...it is valuable to me.