1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Media Question - Newbie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tiswas, Mar 11, 2003.

1. tiswas

tiswas Member

I have read quite a few threads on media but still am alittle confused....

I bought a Dell system and got a Philips D28 DVD Writer with it, the purpose of this is to backup my DVD movies, a friend use to do it for me and they were backed up on DVD-R media, now my understanding is that my writer will only write to DVD+R/RW's.

Questions....
    i) Will my player be able to read DVD-R disks?

ii) If so can i read off a DVD-R and copy/rip/clone what is on the DVD-R to a DVD+R and still be able to use the format in my home DVD player?

iii) how popular is the DVD+R format? i mean are new players compatible or are all players compatible

iv) what application is best suited to copying DVD movies without errors etc.

Many thx for your time.

2. commwiz

commwiz Guest

1. By player, if you mean your pc's dvd writer, it should be able to read but not write -R's.
    2. Yes, but you didn't specify if they were data files, mpg's, etc. If it's in dvd format (ifo's, bup's, vob's), also yes if they're complete.
    3. Supposedly going to be more popular, but as far as currently playable on stand alone dvd players I'd agree with Malum and some others at this site saying that the -R's still seem to be more compatible. But if they play on your system who cares.
    DXC is best but $100. DVDRipper/IFOEdit/Nero is good but you've got to learn the ropes. You'll find all that info at this site.

3. tiswas

tiswas Member

many thx for your reply.
    I have order some blank DVD+R's so will will test once they arrive....

4. DVDPlanet

DVDPlanet Guest

tiswas, yes your pc player will players any type of DVDR discs...but remember this...your HOME DVD Players might NOT be able to play bothe the DVD-R and DVD+R. You need to check with the owner's guide about this.

If you need a step by step guides with all pictures then stop by my site. A pictures means a thousands words...