1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd menus

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dmelife, Dec 13, 2004.

1. dmelife

dmelife Guest

hi guyz,

i have a few home movies on vcd and i would like them to fit them on one dvd. i know how to use dvdshrink.

but how do i convert dat files to vob files?
    and how do i add a menu to the dvd so that i can select
    which movie i want to see rather than fwd the entire dvd?
    also the .ifo and .bup should be taken care of?

thanks

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Dear dmelife,
    Sometimes a burn program (e.g. Nero) can burn dat files directly into DVD format, sometimes they can't. When they can't, you may first convert the dat files in mpeg format. Then many burn programs can burn them as DVDs. There is a nice free program called VCD Gear that can convert dat files into mpegs:

http://www.vcdgear.com/

In Nero, you can choose 'make your own DVD video', paste the mpegs, and follow the leads to make a menu with the individual mpegs as chapters. The final compilation would have all the .ifo and .bup, and you don't have to worry about it.

3. dmelife

dmelife Guest

dear scf_au

thanks for replying. but i have a question. nero will burn mpeg to dvds but with the time limit of 2 hours in 4.7 GB dvd. so i might have to burn 2 dvds this way.
    is there a way i convert the dat into vob on my hd and shrink the files by dvd shrink and burn them all on one dvd.

trust me i want to make them one one dvd only as i have to distribute a lot of copies among my big family.

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

I may be wrong 'cos I'm speaking from my memory: When you put more mpegs than a DVD can hold on the Nero screen, Nero would warn you and ask whether you would like to have the resulting compilation compressed to fit into one 4.7 GB DVD. So basically Nero can do what Shrink can do.

5. dmelife

dmelife Guest

i tried nero. it does not shrink well. perhaps an extra of 15 minutes only. i am taking about an extra of atleast 1 hour.

so i need a way to make mpg to vob on my hd.

thanks