1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by maddogg, Nov 9, 2003.

1. maddogg

maddogg Member

i have one real stupid question, if i find a movie on the internet(at my pay site) and it is in dvd,divx or says dvd quality, do i just download it and put on a dvd-r? what program would i use to put the movie on the disc? if i don't encode the movie i should not loose quality. so how do i go about this? thanks

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Not a stupid question...

You just have to remember that "DVD quality" does not necessarily mean "DVD compatable".

The process that you have to take depends entirely on the format of the file you download. 9 times out of 10 it is a DivX format AVI file. If you just burn this file direct to a DVD-R, you would only be abole to watch it on your computer. However, if you want to watch it on your standalone DVD player, it has to be converted to MPEG2 format before it can be made onto a DVD.

HOwever, even at this point, you can't just burn the file straight to a DVD-R. You actually have to author a DVD title-set that will convert your MPEG2 files into a file structure thatis recognized by a DVD player.

The main programs you need are TMPGEnc Plus (to convert your AVI file to MPEG2) and TMPGEnc DVD Author (to make a DVD title-set). In addition, of course, you need a burning program like Nero or RecordNOw Max.

A good place to find detailed guides for this process is www.dvdrhelp.com

Good luck..