1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD not playing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ashta, Aug 8, 2004.

1. ashta

ashta Member

Hello Friends,

I am a newbie so the problem looks complecated for me... need your suggestions and help.

My system came with win 2000 pro, later having lot of problems formatted and loaded again the same OS, again facing problem formatted and loaded win 98 SE it was fine but DVD's were not playing and now due to my professional requirement again i formatted and loaded win xp and made a total of four partition in my hard disk.

Now except the film "Fiddler on the roof" an original DVD with a region code 1 other DVD's are not playing. Even the original DVD's. I have a cyberlink's Power DVD XP and playing with Sony DVD ROM / CD R/W

All CD's are playing well and can burn CD's properly.
    Except "Fiddler on the roof" if i insert any other DVD the system does not responds until i eject, if i eject system works without any problem.

My system is just 6 months old with following configuration.

P4, 2.4 Ghz,
    256 MB RAM,
    80 GB HDD (4 Partitions made)

Advanced thanks for any help
    <noEmail@here.com>

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  2. brobear

brobear Guest

First of all, why all those partitions on a small HDD? Don't think it has anything to do with the drive reading problem. If you ever decided to record DVD, you might run into a space problem. Hopefully with all these OS changes, your system is now using NTSF file system and not the old FAT32 from Windows 98.

You mentioned your system plays a region 1 disc. What region do you live in and are you trying to play discs other than Region 1? I ask because this is an international forum.

If you live in a region other than 1, you can change the drive's region setting in device manager. Software should always be used to view out of region DVDs and not changing hardware settings. (Just threw that in in case.)

Power DVD XP has a setting for changing the Drive Region. A person should only use that program to set a drive to their home region. A program such as Region +CSS Free (used to be Region Free) should be used to play out of region discs.

So is this your problem or are we looking for another problem?

3. ashta

ashta Member

Thanks for the information.

I dont record any DVD, i live in India and this same drive was working fine with all my DVD's (Mostly region 1 and burned DVD's from USA) After my hardware technician came and screwed it up for four partition - saying that will increase the speed of my system DVD stopped working. Knowing his quality of skills i stopped calling him and trying to rectify myself.

So i believe Region code is not my problem, if region code is the problem it should play my other same region code (1) DVD's

I feel may be i missed any other codec after formatting... but my system asks which program to choose after inserting the DVD...

I tried installing again Power DVD, tried playing with real player, windows media player 9... everything freezes until the DVD is in drive

Hope you can smell out the problem, if i have still missed any informations please question me.

Thanks
    Ashta

4. ashta

ashta Member

A small correction, windows media player 8

Thanks
    Ashta

5. brobear

brobear Guest

With a drive that size, 4 partitions is at least 2 too many in my book. Modern drives don't need defragging as much as the older ones. Don't know the age of the unit. You have changed OS on this PC before. Without getting into a lot of searching it may be time for a complete format and OS installation. With an 80GB drive, if you want to partition, just split it in half during the format and setup stage.

Before you do that go into the device manager under system in the control panel. check the disc drive there. You will need to click the + to see the drive and double click on it to open the property box. You can also troubleshoot from there with system diagnostics. You can also check the settings including region settings.

6. ashta

ashta Member

Thanks again

I had found my DVD drive without any jumper in it, i tried fixing a jumper to master, now i seen one more DVD playing with the region one but i was not able to select a scene from the menu.

Updated windows media player from v 8 to v 9 series, while trying to play from it the message says... copy protected media... cant be played.

Now i thought about region code patch, and downloaded a software ltnRPC and disabled drive region lock.

Still it is same as other 2 gates have to be broken!

Do i am moving in correct path?

Thanks,
    Ashta

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Just to make sure you repaired your drive correctly: The Master is on the end of the ribbon cable with the jumper in Master position. If you have another drive on a middle connector on the ribbon cable, that is the Slave and should have the jumper in the Slave position.

If other DVDs are playing, then the drive is working. Scene selection is a software function, not hardware.

This just means you have encryption on the DVD that the software can't read. Encryption for blocking recording should not affect a player. Region codes are encryption as well. What is the region of the disc and what do you have your drive set at?

You disabled the drive region lock. For what purpose. Out of region discs should be de-encrypted using software, not changing the drive region code. Only 4 or 5 changes and the drive becomes locked. Is this why you used the software to disable the region lock function?

Don't understand what you mean. Same as other 2 in what way? What does other 2 gates have to be broken mean?

Not sure if you are or not. When the drive was playing the DVD, that indicated you had it working. At that point the software was suspect. I would have gotten a better DVD viewer program. I use the InterVideo DVDPlayer6. Check it out at Intervideo.com . There is a free download program for checking DVD discs, the name is DVDInfoPro. You can make sure there are no faults with the discs you want to read. About this point you have lost me. Good luck.