1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Not Recognized

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Gemo, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Gemo

Gemo Member

I have had goood results backing up numerous DVD movies using DVD Shrink 3.2, Nero 6.6.0.8 on my Dell D800 with integrated DVD writer and some different DVD+R media such as Maxel, BenQ.

For my last 2 back ups I used (for the first time) Mitsumi DVD+Rs and the burns seemd to work OK (got the burn completed dialog from Nero/Shrink and the DVD ejected).

However when I tried to play the new DVDs they weren't even recognized by my DVD writer. NeroInfo reports them as "Open, not finalized".

How do I finalize the DVDs and why did these 2 backups not work - is there a problem with the Mitsumi DVD+Rs?

2. saharardb

saharardb Guest

in nero there is usually an option finalize just check it

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2005
  3. Gemo

Gemo Member

With the burned DVD in the writer I start up Nero Burning ROM and in the New Compilation window I click on Burn and the "Finalize DVD (No further writing possible)" check box is greyed out.

What else can I do to fix this DVD?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Doh!! Try not using the Mitsumi DVD+Rs. You said everything was fine until you used them so what logical conclusion would that bring you to?

I'm not sure what you want to hear? Maybe that there is some majical proggy or setup you can use to make your crappy media work. Well I'm sorry but there isn't just chalk it up to a learning experiance and get some better media. The Maxell's were a good choice and they worked so why mess up a good thing? I know those disks where probably really cheap. Well you got what you paid for. I'm not trying to be a prick or anything just giving you my honest opinion. There are literally thousands of threads here on AD about crappy media, and when the person finally changes to good media Presto!! everything is fixed, but this usually doesn't happen until they have tried a million other thing's because for some reason people just don't want to believe there media is no good. So stop wasting your time with that junk media and stick to media that has already proven to work well for you. :)

5. Gemo

Gemo Member

Thanks bbmayo for a blinding statement of the obvious <grin> - I guess I'm just too principally minded to accept the obvious without a good try!

...and I haven't given up yet. Tonight I'm going to try and backup the DVDs with some other media and I have no doubt everything will work fine, which will confirm the Mitsumi as the problem.

I'm also going to try using the Mitsumi on another PC/DVD burner and if I have problems then there's no question.

I'm not looking so much for quick soln (switching media is self evident) but more an understanding of what and why this didn't work so I can learn from it.

Greatly appreciate your comments and practical advice.

6. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

I wouldn't waste your time bad media needs to go back to the store. If you want to learn about bad media read it in these forums. You will found out that eventually bad media will crap out. I have almost finished backing up my old crappy media onto sony dvd+r's. 10% of the old ones have read failures so those are trash now. They were burnt @ 4x so it was not the process but the crappiness. When someone says it hurts to get hit in the head by a baseball bat, don't test out his theory take his word for it!