1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD playback issues! HELP!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bloodyell, Oct 16, 2007.

1. bloodyell

bloodyell Member

This is driving me mad. I have a DVD R+RW drive and fist of all should it write to R- discs because they play fine in the pc and my home dvd player but friends dvd players it just says disc error etc? Why? And I've never had a problem before useing the R+ discs but just recently a disc I burnt plays on my home DVD player but at about 3 points in the movies becomes blocky and pixelated (plays fine on the pc) but it still gets through it but on friends Dvd players it actually just freezes at that point. If I skip the to chapter after and rewind it to just before it freezes it is possible to watch it. There is also an other issue with a DVD i burnt. Plays fine on my pc and dvd player but on another it plays about 10% of the time, gets to the firstplay and freezes 10% of the time and the rest it just says error. If it obviously can play it why would it just play some of the time?!?!

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Dual format drives can write to both DVD+R and DVD-R discs, but there were many drives that were only single format. Let's assume you have a dual format drive.

The first disc error problem is unclear. I assume you are finalizing your discs because only then will they play in more than one player/drive. It is not clear why "disc error" shows up on friends' players unless you are recording files other than MPEG files.

The freezing/stopping is due to a burst of errors so great that the players' error correction circuitry is overwhelmed and/or the laser pickup can no longer follow the track. These errors can be caused by a poor quality disc (manufacturing flaw or subsequent scratch) or by a poor quality recording (due to a number of reasons, incompatibility of drive/medium being foremost). You will have to list the drive and firmware you are using and the type of disc so that it is possible to determine whether or not the drive and disc are compatible.

3. bloodyell

bloodyell Member

I'm unsure of the firmware. Basically my mate gave me the drive and I just stuck it in there which is a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S whatever that is. But i'm just writing your regurlar VOB files with CloneDVD2 so im sure they are "finalized". I am using pretty cheap own brand DVD+R's but I didnt realise it would be so much of a problem. However one of the discs in question was SAMSUNG pleomax R+ so I wasn't sure if the drive might be pretty much screwed.

4. jroyale

jroyale Member

My friend is having the same issue and I have another post in here about it...let me know if you get an answer.

The one thing we are looking at (he's going to burn tonight) is that it could be an iso or img file format issue. Not sure if you are burning from iso but at one point he was burning backup dvd's using magicdvd and they all worked, 100% of the time. Then once he started with burning from iso or img it only works about 10% of the time.

So we are going to mount the image then burn the files. We are also using Nero which come poeple have noted is spotty at best.

Let me know what format your burning from.

5. bloodyell

bloodyell Member

I'm not using no image. I'm just converting an AVI file to VOB movie files using AVI2DVD or I've just tried ConvertXtoDVD. As far as I can see there shouldn't or isn't any problems with the files I think it must be a write problem with the hardware or discs but whatever it is I still don't understamd why it willplay on one DVD player but not another. With some DVDs also, some will play on a DVD player like it should, bringing the menu up fist and others will just start playing the movie. Not a big problem but im not sure why that is or if it is a technical problem or just how the player works.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

In perusing these forums you will see that usually the problems you describe are attributed to the media/discs.

Folks here usually rant on and on about the need to use high quality discs, especially if hoping to play the burns in many different players which obviously can contain many different components in almost infinite combinations.

7. bloodyell

bloodyell Member

Well yeah that could well be the case. I will try better dics but whats the point of selling cheap discs then if they are not good. I thought they wasn't allowed to rip people off like that. I converted the file again using convertXtoDvd instead of Avi2Dvd and it wrote it and works ok now. So not sure if the program made the difference of the other dics was just bad.