1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd player plays dvd-r then stops right away

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by davbell, Sep 7, 2004.

1. davbell

davbell Guest

I copy and ripped dvds using dvdcrypter and dvdshrinker. I used nero 5.5. The brand name of discs are optimum and i don't know the other brand but is the website www.americal.com. I have 10 of dvd-r that came from americal.com that will play and other 20 either play then stop right away or error message on player about region setting. What am i doing wrong and what do i to fix it. the discs are for general 4.7gb dvd-r.

2. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Hi im assuming that you are making backups of your dvds that you already own because you know that it is illegal to copy and resell dvds it is also against forum rules to discuss that here, if you are making backups, then the media you are using isnt particulary good, i advise ritek or verbatiman, ive never been able to spell verbatimen, anyway media plays a big part in making dvds, also what kind of dvd player are you using, older dvd players dont always play dvd-r very well, all my backups work fine on my dvd player but play without sound on my PS2, something im trying to sort out. hope this helps

3. swenyb

swenyb Regular member

Also try as many of the guides in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/ your sure to hit sucess or at least a better chance of it
    PLus give this mini guide given to me by Scuba Pete a go

STOPGAP FIXES:

1. * There's a little sometimes fix. It's to compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.2GB even (4200MB). For instance when using DVD Shrink, open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as custom and set the size as 4200MB. By reducing the amount to be burned you can stay away from the edges where the dye tends to be uneven and the discs may even be brittle.

2. You can reduce the numbers of errors while burning cheapo media by burning at a reduced speed. It takes longer but what the heck, you're saving money (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

Try to clean your DVD discs just before inserting, use a disc cleaner or isopropanol Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth