1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player pro's and con's

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by gear79, Dec 22, 2005.

1. gear79

gear79 Guest

There seems to be many people in here asking, "what's the [bold]best[/bold] dvd player to buy?
    There are many factors involved in what will work best for you and what will not, not to mention budget and what you [bold]specifically[/bold] want it to do.
    I'd suggest you type down some good information relating to what you want in a dvd player, price range that you're willing to spend on a player, and what it's main purpose will be. There are tons of dvd players listed in this forum alone, I'd suggest using the search tab at the top of this forum to help assist you in your quest for what you are looking for. It's there to help you and everyone else in finding an answer to your question. Chances are, your dvd player that you are looking for has already been asked in here and links have been provided as to what it's specifications are, price, pro's and con's and consumer reviews. I will provide a few links to help in that search for you below. I have complied this thread and list of links to help, I personally just get tired of seeing all the [bold]new, same old questions over and over again[/bold] asking, "what's the best player to buy ?"

Use this link and enter your player in question, it will give you all the information needed to assist you.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=dvp642&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name

If it's codecs you're looking for, go here..
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/gspot.cfm

If you need to know what some of the terminology is or what the abbreviations are....... go here....

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

Want a dvd region hack... go here
    http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/hackable.asp

And if all else fails, by all means, use this...

http://google.com

Add your player name and model number in the search bar, type in words like 'hack', 'firmware', 'reviews' !!

I hope this thread can become a stickey and will help assist all members asking about a specific dvd player. And will answer most of your questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2006
  2. zachb90

zachb90 Guest

wanna know what the most crappiest dvd player is? apex brand. all of apex brand dvd players suck. my dad had one and everytime you put a dvd in the player it always freezes on diffrent parts of a movie. I know someone else's apex dvd player that suck. the dvd drive in the player got stuck and there was no way that you could get it un stuck. can you help me with this problem?

3. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

There is no such animal as "the best player". What do you mean by best-picture-sound-clean image? Best for a certain price? Best for xvid/divx-well, you get the idea.

4. sandgyp

sandgyp Member

I have a Sony SLVD300P player that is very finicky and will not play backups.Is there any "software" or "firmware" that can be "hacked" to make this thing more useful or do I just need to dump it and get something else?I have a 2000 model Sony that will play anything,even DL backups.

5. G-Dizzle

G-Dizzle Regular member

myt sylvania sucks balls also, does the same as ur apex

6. necroviz

necroviz Guest

my Austek was only AU $90 it rocks

7. len472

len472 Member

My DVD player is having a hard time playing Could it be the DVD-r's I'm using Ridata's -& positives. I need answers,I'm tired of wagtching a movie and in the middle it freezes or just plain stops.

8. mrbear27

mrbear27 Member

Hello,

I just wanted to thank Mr. Gear 79 for his most helpful information regarding DVD players.

I am going to follow his suggestions and make a list of exactly what I want and want it to do and then go to the links listed.

Am still currious if a internal CD/DVD drive exists that can play DL disks?
    If so,this might narrow down my choices quite a bit.

Most appreciated,

Mr.bear

9. mrbear27

mrbear27 Member

Hello,

It looks like I should have been on the thread regarding DVD Roms isntead of DVD players.

I tried all the links that Mr. Gear 79 has listed and found nothing regrding DVD Drives.

Sorry for my mistake.

Will look on the DVD Rom thread.

Mr. bear