1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd player recommendation

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by afan, Mar 9, 2005.

1. afan

afan Guest

I am looking for a DVD Player that will play DVD-R and +R's in different kinds of media e.g. TDK, Fugi, Legacy, etc. Walmart used to sell a Syphonic DVD Player that did this but they are no longer available.

2. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

what kind of price range are we looking at? I need a starting point.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You could try one of wal-marts cheaper "progressive scan" dvd players. Usually the cheapies play dvd-/+r and rw's better than the fancier high $$ ones. If it don't play your backups,take it back for another model. Usually no questions asked on returns.
    Good Luck

4. clouser

clouser Guest

i have a regent ht500 it plays both +r and -r and vcds as well i paid 125.00 for it at wal-mart its got a built in dts decoder and has a dulby 5.1 package. iv never had a problem with this player it even plays my cheapo media.

5. afan

afan Guest

thanks for the replys. Regarding the question about how much I am will to spend for a dvd player... about $100. The Symphonic player that I bought at Walmart was about $40 and does a great job in playing all kinds of dvd media. Unfortunately, they no longer sell this player and its replacement doesnt play media like maxwell, fugi, TDK etc.

I will take a look at the Regent HT500.

Thanks again.

6. clouser

clouser Guest

also look for the lennox ht 500 the regent was a rebadge for wal-mart but they are the same player i know the region hack for this player also .

7. baron1963

baron1963 Guest

check with sony progressive player,and try cyber home,i prefer sony of course.but a cheap player and do all cyber works well(cheap).

8. ripper72

ripper72 Member

I have several DVD players and the cheapest and best for playing DVD-R, DVD+r's is the samsung PV241 it runs no more than $60 and is progressive scan. This player reads anything. I have some older burns that are on crappy discs and this thing reads them.

9. ripper72

ripper72 Member

I'd stay away from the Sony's. I have one and it plays most discs. But once in a blue moon it has issues with a disc burnt with x copy plat. It skips from chapter to chapter finishing the disc in about 10 seconds. Now If I take that disc and play it on my samsung toshiba, or Panasonic it plays fine. I like sony products but not their DVD players becasue of that reason. One out of 50 doing that is not worth it. Also if I reburn the backup movie using shrink it works fine.

10. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

Wal-mart usually has a Sanyo for $54.