1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player Recommendations

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Nukular, Dec 5, 2005.

1. gear79

gear79 Guest

your ringing my bell gerry!!!

either or will work, but i personally would us the dvd player with upconversion instead... hence it being direct from the source !!!!

oh, and to go off topic, i was just in the media forum again, they have a sale on ritek G05 printable media for 9.99, today only, no shipping.... 50 pack too !!! i bought me a spool for testing, cuz i am also buying this today ....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat42100050004&id=1122654460189

not a bad deal for either, and what makes it better, my mom paid for them as a late b-day present and early christmas present (since they are so close together)

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@gear:...hmmm...good point. (Sort of goes back to my DVD players with decoders thing). I must have some sort of subconscious aversion to redundancies ... or I'm so cheap that I dont want to pay for things I don't need.

Nice printer by the way! I'm sure I'll be facing that decision some time soon; mine is ancient.

3. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

I've been looking at the light scribe actually but media is to high

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

5. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

Hello. Gear, You gave me some advice before on what DVD player played everything you put into it. I know you swear by the LG LDA-511, and I was planning on getting that as my next player. But, now I'm looking into HD home theatre and using Consumer Reports to help me with my research. It says that the LG is not well suited for HDTVs. What do you know about the Toshiba SD-6980 ? Thanks again.

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

all i know about toshiba dvd players... some, if not most are pickey when playing certain dvd's.... burned media.
    but from what i read, the only thing that grabs my attention is that it comes supplied with a HDMI cable... but then again, big deal.. i have access to quality HDMI cables for free, courtesy of a satellite company..

7. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Well i got my LG LDA-511 for awhile now and love it (gear79 recomended it) i have it hooked up to a RCA 52 HDTV with no problims. What are the issues you read of?

8. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ six.6.six
    he was not asking about the LDA-511, it was a toshiba he was considering.
    good that you got that player, its nice huh?

9. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Ya i know but he did say
    and it works fine with mine.

Heck ya it's awsome bro i love it, made a MP3DvD the other night 34 albums ( @ 320) on 1 disk LoL and everything i had backed up and everything iv'e done lately works perfect!

10. gear79

gear79 Guest

i know the feeling, i had did a dvd mp3 to a months ago, but could never play it (it was really just to back up my music, for the just in case) but the then i got the dvd player and put in one disk for hours and hours of play !!

i especially like the card reader slots.. i can take the memory stick right out of my digi cam and watch whats on it !!

and the pictures and videos look amazing on my HDTV !! go figure.. everyone has opinions... and mine is good about what i have !

11. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

Hey guys, I'm not putting down The LG at all. I'm sure it's a great player. I was planning on getting one as per Gears suggestion. But I was just questioning what Consumers Reports had listed. Here is how they were determining which players were "Well suited for HDTV""

"Well-suited for HDTVs

Indicates that, when used with an HDTV or enhanced-definition TV, the model provided smoothing of images from prerecorded DVDs, with the effect most noticeable with film-based DVDs, such as many movie discs."

Someone like me probably couldn't tell the difference, but someone who's watched alot of Hi Def stuff probably could. Do they make the LG LDA-511 in black ??

12. gear79

gear79 Guest

no, not available in black... pity i guess, i would like to have a black one too...
    anyway, my hdtv supports all 4 formats... 480i, 480p 720, and 1080i
    i can tell a huge difference between them, but i have am HDMI cable as well, and its of good quality.. and that will make a difference too..

13. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Culchie : you need to notice the note the Toshiba SD-3960 is not the number 1 dvd player(only $50.00), notice they did them by price within types!

From Consumer Reports :

You need to look at the list of features and find the one that meets your needs.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  14. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

I didn't say it was the #1 DVD player. I was looking at the features. And I think I did say the "SD-6980" $170, looked like a good one.

15. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Ya i know i was just pointing out how the Consumer Reports list reads, and how they group the players by price not witch one was number one

16. gear79

gear79 Guest

i say word of mouth is best ans opinions from people who actually have the product..

consumer reports is a nice comparison chart, but IMO not the best place to compare..

doing it yourself is the way to go..

i'd say go to stores where they sell dvd players and test them out yourself with a similiar tv you have..
    if they dont want to demo for you, then they dont need your money...

sure it takes time, but its also called customer satisfaction !!!

17. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

I just saw the LG DVB418 high def DVD player in the store. You think it would have the same compatability with formats as the LDA-511 ??

18. gear79

gear79 Guest

it does, but i HAD that player and had to return it...
    i had problems from the moment i had it playing. audio/video lip sync problems... i had LG send me firmware updates and it only made it worse. there is a site, i'll try to find it, that had bad comments on it.. seems that most all of them had that problem.. (well, i guess i deleted it) i had it, but since i got a new one, i deleted the link

anyway, i would not suggest that one... the dates, if you do buy one, has to be built after may of 2005 to be a good one, any of them made prior to that date were the ones that messed up...

19. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

That must be why I see alot of the refurbished ones on eBay going for about $40 total. I'll steer clear. Thanks. Where can I find HDMI and Component cables at a good price ??

20. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, if you buy an HDMI, since they are costly ones..
    try a computer store believe it or not, they have great deals.. i got one, for a tester, for 28 bucks.... works nice, i wanted to try it out to see if it was worth it, and it was, but i came across a satellite hdmi cable for free, so i use that one, came from direct tv..

also, try e-bay, you can get a name brand for pennies on the dollar... i know, i have searched them many times..
    example..

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-ft-PREMIUM-2...854475729QQcategoryZ73387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats just 1 item, there are tons of pages...