1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd player stopped reading dvds - plays other media

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by dombrorj, Oct 11, 2004.

1. dombrorj

dombrorj Member

i've searched and searched and can't seem to find any similar problems.

my mitsubishi dvd player can't recognize dvds any longer. it tries to read them (all dvds) and starts to click a bit and then reads "no disc." The dvd player will still play vcds/mp3/cd with no problem. i took it apart and it appears to function properly and i tried cleaning the lens, but no luck.

any suggestion?

2. Shkeve989

Shkeve989 Member

I do tech support for Sony consumer products, so I hope this will be of some help, or at least expand your knowledge of the problem you are experiencing. You are saying that your player will not read dvd discs or burns, but it will read audio cds or vcds. The problem seems to be a repair issue that simply cleaning the lens will not remedy. CD's and vcd's have bumps on them much the same as do vinyl records. The laser from the lens sees the bumps and interprets them into data. Following me? Now dvds work just the same way, BUT, the bumps on dvd discs are incredibly smaller than those on cds, thus the laser must be much, much finer and more precise to read the bumps and convert them to data. I see this all the time and the case is usually that something has gone awry with the laser mechanism and the laser is either not as fine and precise as it was before, thus being able to read the larger bumps, but not the smaller dvd bumps, OR that the dvd laser emitter has been ever so slightly shifted so that the angle in which the laser points to the bumps on the disc does not accomidate proper interpretation of the finer bumps, but not shifted so far as to still show functionality when reading cds. I hope this helps. Oh, and as to you opening your player up, I hope it wasn't still new, because now you have voided your warrantee and Mitsubishi will tell you that you're on your own now and you have to either fix it yourself, pay their exhorbitant repair fee, or simply buy a new player.