1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player Upscaling

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by karlgent, Jan 10, 2010.

1. karlgent

karlgent Member

Hello all,

I have been enjoying DVD upscaling using my PS3 via HDMI recently however I have some Region 2 DVDs which will not work on my console. I have a DVD player which will play them and this has a component port on the back. I was wondering if this player would automatically upscale (like the PS3) via a component cable or a component-to-HDMI cable? I was hoping someone could tell me before I purchased either of these cables or will I have to buy a specific upscaling DVD player.

Thanks

2. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Why don't you try to rip movie using DVDFab, which will remove the RC and RCE (Region Code & RC Enhancements). Then play using your PS3.

3. JVC

JVC Active member

I don't know of any players that will upscale over component cables. If you have a receiver that upscales and upconverts, it may do it, as long as it's HDMI going from receiver to the tv. Can't swear to it though.

Ripping and burning a dvd is an option, but I'd use double layer dvds, so the movie isn't compressed. If there's a good bit of compression, then the upscaling may take it back up to dvd quality. Kinda defeats the purpose, I think.
    Good luck!

EDIT:
    I just remembered. There was one model of Oppo that would upscale over component, but only dvds that had NO copy protection on them. So, those would have to be copies. I don't remember which model Oppo it was either. Oppo quit selling dvd players. All they build and sell now is blu ray players.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  4. karlgent

karlgent Member

Thanks for the help folks much appreciated. I think I'll go for the component for the time being as I don't think my player will have the upscaling capabilities.

I used to do the ripping method in the past, and still do for converting 1080p movies into the AVHD format for my PS3, but it gets tiresome and as JVC states, defeats the purpose of quality.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a region free hack will appear for the PS3 sometime that will allow me to play both my UK DVD's and Blu Ray's but it's doubtful now. Thanks again people, all the best.