1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD PLAYER

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by agreived, Sep 27, 2004.

1. agreived

agreived Member

Just a word of warning about a site offering a dvd player...AndrewBoss.co.uk
    I bought one for £60 + £15 p&p and when it came worked fine for 3 months then drawer kept sticking and finally stopped opening all together.After e-mails between us it was decided he would send a new drawer.The first one was "lost in the post". so a second one was sent which when arrived was only loose in a box.On fitting .....no change new drawer not working.
    The sting in the tail.
    The machine and the parts come from Estonia as does Andrew Boss.He asked for dvd player to be returned and he would repair or exchange it.To send it back to Estonia was going to be £28 with no compensation or £35 with up to £150 compensation.He did offer up to £20 refund of postage if machine was found to be faulty but a did not want a repair done on a new machine.How he was going to replace it when he doesnt make the model anymore is beyond me.
    A similar new machine over here in England will cost about £70 so i decided not to throw any more money in his direction and bought one here.All this has taken about 5/6 weeks to pan out so bare this in mind if you go down this route.Shoddy machines are out there.
    yours still angry
    Agreived

2. jasvinder

jasvinder Member

HI,
    YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE. I BOUGHT THE SAME DVD PLAYER FROM ANDREW BOSS FROM ESTONIA. IT SAYS IT PLAYS DVD+R/W. AS SSON AS I OPENED THE BOX, REMOTE DID NOT WORK. THAN I TRIED BIGPOCKET DVD+R, DID NOT WORK, IT KEEPS SAYING NO DISC. SENT EMAIL TO ANDREW BOSS, REPLY CAME EXACTLY THE SAME AS YOURS.
    I MANAGED TO SELL MY DVD PLAYER AT LOSS TO SOMEONE IN UK

THANKS

3. jimnevada

jimnevada Member

Hi, what can I sy

Thanks very much for the great product. The player works great and playes every disc that I\'ve put into it... and I\'ve tried every possible type I can find... various region DVDs, Divx, mp3. It works like a champ. Regardless of whether it is NTSC or PAL, it plays on my tv, which is really cool!

And thank you for your incredible customer support. Your nice and kind nature really helped when the unit had a problem. That you would go to such efforts to ensure that your customer was happy and satisified with their product is amazing to me. So many companies just don\'t get that. If I have a need again in the future, I will definitely purchase from you.

Thanks very much from Nevada, USA!!
    Jim

4. agreived

agreived Member

Re : Jimnevada
    Sounds like a reply from Andrew Boss to me.........but i see from what he says, his broke as well...maybe somebody has one that works.

5. covenant

covenant Member

I believe the first post to be rather wrong about this company. I bought an SP-2820 and it has worked beautifully apart from playback of DVD+R/RWs (either saved as DVD video or as data). The problem was resolved very quickly by the company via email and with a (self-performed) quick fix.

They seem to be the rarest of beasts - they actually credit their customers with some intelligence.

I will definitely be using them again and consider them excellent.

Full details of problem and fix available from here:

http://ambernet.no.ip.org/blog/

You can also satisfy yourselves that I am not the manufacturer whilst you're at it :).

6. agreived

agreived Member

Nice to know there is a working model of an Andrew Boss dvd player Covenant,however i can only go on my experience of this company and let people know the pitfalls by buying from a company that doesnt tell you it is foreign from the start.All of his site makes you think you are dealing with a Brit...not till you get delivery do you realise its foreign.People can make there own minds up but they must be given all the facts and not misled.

7. covenant

covenant Member

That surprises me as when I bought mine (as a Buy Now on eBay), it clearly stated that it was going to be shipped from Estonia.

I agree with what you are saying though as I don't expect everyone would be happy taking their player apart and fiddling. Fortunately I spend a lot of my spare time messing with hardware so fixing it and getting to know a bit more about the hardware was a great experience in itself.

At the time that I bought mine, when all else that was available were KISS or Pioneer players that had all functions as the Boss one, the SP2820 was VERY reasonably priced and I reckon I got my money's worth.

Whilst I agree with most of what you wrote, I thought it only fair (I found your post whilst Googling for possible solutions to my problem!) to temper iy with my own good experiences with the company. Horses for courses I guess.