1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD plays on regular dvd player but shaky on my PC

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sjg1999xp, Nov 10, 2004.

1. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I am unable to play original or burned copy of dvd's using power dvd 5. I am using the same program on another PC with the same player which is a Liteon xj-hd1665. This is a new player, this player also worked in another computer. I am using windows Xp professional and I have 256 of ram but this is a intel pentium 3 processor with 801 mhz, could be that be the problem or is there another program that I can use to fix this. Thanks Steve G.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy Steve, welcome to aD,

It might be your system - Why not go to msconfig, startup and "disable all, apply, OK,OK to reboot. that will free up all of your resources. We don't know what was playing in the background BUT it wouldn't have been unheard of to have that poor processor working itself to death. Lol.

Could that drive play CD's ?

You didn't say - is this drive internal OR external ? If it's an external, what type of USB connection do you have (very important question, that -) If you don't have a 2.0 USB connection, stop right there and get an external card so that you can boost yout transfer speed -.

Let's check that shall we and report back so we can decide upon our nexr step -

Cheers,

Pete

3. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Pete once again, you are the man :). I went to msconfig, startup and "disable all, apply, OK,OK to reboot liek you said and it is working better now but still stutters a little bit, is there any additional things I can do? Yes I can play regular cd's and this is an internal burner.So I am guessing that I will have to to msconfig, startup and "disable all, apply, OK,OK to reboot eveytime I restart my pc? I thank you again as always you are a great help...Steve G.

4. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Actually Pete, now is is studdering again when I play any movie :(

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Steve,

No Good Guy, you don't have to "Dis-able all" everytime - All that did is to turn off programs that were always saying, "Me first, NO, me first". when every you booted up. All your proggys will work fine it's just that they'll take a second or two to startup -

I'm thinking it's your RAM that's causing the trouble. Though your processor isn't really setup for today's work with a bit more RAM,about 512MB you would see a difference and things would work better. If a new PC is out of the question, check out if an over-drive chip is available for your processor.

As far as what else can you do - turn off anything that running that you don't need to free up more resources. Right-click your task bar and check processess under task manager to see if there is anything you can "end" every little bit will help -

Cheers,

Pete

6. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Hey, I tried to upgrade to 512 but my mother board only went uo to 328 of memory and I put in 2 good 256 chips. I am still getting studdering, there are alot of processes running but I am unsure which ones I can end without messing up something on my PC :). Thanks Steve G.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Steve,

What is your PC's OS ?

8. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

I formatted my hard drive and put windows xp professional on it. This is an extra PC that I had at my house and brought it into work just to burn regular cd's and watch dvd's, there is nothing else even loaded on this PC. Thanks again Pete, Steve G.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

msconfig, Startup tab, Disable all, Apply, OK, OK to reboot. Now everything you shut off will be shut off.

BTW, what type of IDE cable are you using, 40-pin OR 80-pin ?

Pete

10. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks Pete, I am using a 40 pin, is it possible if I put an older OS on my PC that it might free up some resources. It is funny, now the dvd's are playing but it seems like it is hit or miss when playing a dvd whether a burned copy or original. Thanks Steve

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Okie Dokie Steve, let's change that IDE cable to an 80-pin connector - that should help -

You have me lost there - Just what are you talking about ?

What OS are you running now ?

12. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Sorry pete, I meant if I used an older OS instead of using xp prosessional thta I have insatlled now woule that possible free up my PC to play the dvd's. Also, I am usure what you mean, if the cable is a 40 pin cable how do I get an 80 pin to work? Thanks

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

On that MB we don't -

No, we don't want to go to a poorer OS. That's what I didn't understand -

14. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Pete so I guess I am staying with the 40 pin, I am unfamiliar with this that is why I am asking. Thanks

15. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Sorry for asking Pete, can I upgarde to 80 pin and how, all dvd's are shaky again even after diaabling all in the startup

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you dont't mind...
    This sounds more like a video card problem than anything else.. What type of video card do you have installed and do you have the latest drivers installed for it. Also latest version of Direct X. Also Find out what motherboard you have and install the newest AGP Drivers...
    This should solve your problems... I hope anyway's

:)

17. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Thanks but still no luck Pete, I am going to just try another video card because the motherboard I have had the build in video card and maybe is just old. Steve G.

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sorry Steve,

I don't do hardware so I had to ask Neph -

Take out the 40 wire IDE cable and just put in an 80-pin - It has 40 pins but is configured with 2 wires per pin instead of 1 wire per pin.

When "they say" a 40-pin cable - the term is correct.

When "they say" a 80-pin cable - it's a misnomer and correctly s/b called an 80-wire cable BUT nobody says it that way.

ANYWAY, get an 80-pin IDE cable (80 wires). It handles the transfer much better and should improve your backup work. (Far cheaper that doing a M/B and all that would entail) S/B somewhere around a few $$ at Radio Shack -

Cheers my friend (truly sorry about the mix up)

Pete

19. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

No problem Pete I really appreciate all the help you have given me, I will go to radio shack tomorrow and pick an 80 pin up. Thanks again, Steve

20. sjg1999xp

sjg1999xp Guest

Hey, I installed a 40 pin (80 conductor) cable and I am stilll getting the same results with also disabling all at the startup, I think I am gonna see if I have an extra video card laying around but it seems that when I am running a dvd, the perfromance spikes up to 100% when I monitor it. Thanks Steve G.