1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Profiler Question

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Clinty76, Feb 27, 2004.

1. sambryan

sambryan Member

Thanks for the tip Sandy but with the amount of DVD's I enter each day ... I say I'll pass.... Here is what I am doing....

Provided the movies are already in the database I scan(enter) your titles like usual and leave them in the Pending Additions. I believe I can wait to get the proper images and info. Plus if you leave em there and cancel the nonworking transfers from DVDprofiler they remain in the pending additions. YES, even if you close profiler. When you re-open it they are still there. I have about 30 sitting in mine waiting for intervocative to come back online! I can wait a week or two easy but I sure hope it don't take em that long as I will have a massive download to do!

2. SandyB

SandyB Member

Sambryan,

Yes you can use Profiler as normal and wait for Intervocative to come back. The program does store unfulfilled titles as pending downloads and they will be processed.

However, if Intervocative does NOT get back online, you are faced with the problem of what to do. It IS alot of work to enter the data manually for each title, but the alternative is to abandon Profiler for something else - and what is there that matches the program?? Nothing that I have found. Besides, you have to do manual entries when the title is not in their server database.

So it would appear that we all have three choices:
    Wait for pending downloads.
    Use manually data entry.
    Find another program.

Probably the best choice at this point is to use Profiler as normal and wait for pending downloads to complete. But if the waiting period starts to stretch out, then you will have to make the hard decision. I am used to manual data entry since many titles I get are not on the server database so this is what I will do while waiting. I certainly don't relish the idea of getting a new program and then inputting all 559 titles I have - and I know many folks have ALOT more titles than I do.

Choices, choices, we all have the three choices. Do what is best for yourself - but be prepared for the future in any event!

3. sambryan

sambryan Member

I strongly doubt that profiler is gone. At least we all hope not. Entering Dvd's manually into profiler is a chore and a half. I would rather move on to something else. I have only contributed about 10 titles into the database for that reason. I like to use dvdempire for info but have you noticed when you cut and paste a synopsis that there are a bunch of i sprinkled throughout!!! Nice try with the hidden i!!

Hereiis aniexample...

Anyway if this goes on too long I will stop buy the guys house and see what the story is..... Has anyone here recieved any replies???

Thanks.

4. AcidC0RE

AcidC0RE Member

If you all are looking for high rez cover scans go to http://www.cdcovers.cc/ They have scans for:
    Cdi
    Dreamcast
    DVD
    Gamecube
    Gba
    PC
    Psx
    Psx2
    VCD
    VHS
    Xbox

Most of the DVD cover scans are of one image file (front-spine-back). If you know how to edit and crop files in photo editing software like Jasc Paint Sho Pro or Adobe Photoshop your set. If not you'll have to let someone do it for you or wait (until/if) DVD Profiler servers come back to working operation. In most cases I've found the scans to be of better quality than DVD Profiler downloaded scans because DVD Profiler sys admins edit the scans to be no more than 120 dpi. I have found some scans from CDcovers.cc to be in the 300+ dpi range. If you find one that high and resize it to the size of a scan similar to one in DVD Profiler, yet keep the dpi resolution in its original state(300+) the quality of your scan is crystal clear. The only thing you have to worry about is you drive space if you have a small drive or little room on your drive. Of couse if you have a flatbed scanner then all you have to worry about are the titles that you don't already have.

I hope this info helped, and let's all keep our fingers crossed to get the servers up quick.

Later all.

5. ock913

ock913 Guest

I just don't understand why they have not sent out some information to let us know what the status is or an estimated repair time. They have to know by now that people are concerned and even looking for replacement programs.
    I spoke to Bill at www.browsedvd.com and he said that he called and left a message indicating he would be willing to send out a broadcast email to those users registered with his page. May not cover everyone, but it would at least get the word out. He said he has not heard back from them either. That concerns me ...... why would you not want to inform people you were having server problems and you would be back up as soon as possible???

6. TT626

TT626 Guest

This server has been down for a week now - if we ran our business like that - WE would be out of business. I am still looking for a suitable replacement program but unfortunately - NOTHING that I have seen nor tried compares with DVD Profiler...Very Sad, Very Sad Indeed

7. PlanoLogi

PlanoLogi Member

...still no response from Kevin. I'm starting to get disappointed as well, and I consider myself their biggest fan! I will keep trying...
    PlanoLogic

8. sambryan

sambryan Member

IF I have the time today. I will stop over at his house and see if anyone is home. I went by the other day and it looked like no-one was home.

9. TT626

TT626 Guest

sambryan:
    I appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to try an find out once and for all what is going on with Mr. Cole's System. BTW, if it's not too pushy, can you try and find out what his intentions for DVD Profiler will be. Is he going to continue the site / support or just ditch the program and leave us all in scramble for another program.
    TIA
    Tom

10. Clinty76

Clinty76 Guest

11. ck1018

ck1018 Member

Hello all, am new to this so please bear with me.

I found a posted message on another discussion thread with a statement from an individual claiming to be Jesse Slicer of InterVocative Software. The link is included. Since I'm new to DVDProfiler, I have no idea if this statement is valid or not.

here is the link
    http://www.dvdforum.nu/forum/index.asp?action=showthread&thread=37464&forum=3

The posted statement I mentioned above is in English, however the rest of the page is not. Scroll down and you will see the post.

Any input as to if this is a valid statement from InterVocative or not would be appreciated.

12. AcidC0RE

AcidC0RE Member

13. PlanoLogi

PlanoLogi Member

The link is a BIG relief, thanks Acid.
    I emailed about a little over 100 of my group.
    My hero!

14. TT626

TT626 Guest

Well it's been 1 week to the day that DVD Profiler has been down. I think it is time for Mr. Cole to start looking for a new ISP if in fact that it is the ISPs fault. I paid my $25 but I think that the program is of commercial release quality and am willing to pay more just to get reliable service from IVS. If a change in IVS' business strategy is needed I (and I am sure many more DVD Profile USers) would be willing to pay more for a PREMIUM Service. This is a worldwide app and I have heard of MANY users that have HUGE Collections, this program must be worth more that a mere $25 to them. Just my thoughts on this subject
    Tom

15. sambryan

sambryan Member

A WEEK.....ONLY a week.... This isn't a life critical issue here. There arent kids without school busses or old people being kicked out in the cold. The guy apparently has has a major system failure. He needs to get his backups restored. This will take time...... There are a lot of paid users but even MORE LEACHERS... Unfortunately the unpaid and paid are all in the same database... So with that being said .. that is a huge amount of info. I am not trying to flame anyone but I understand these things take some time. I am sure he ain't exactly rolling in the dough here (by looking at his house). This profiler of his probably cost him more than he has ever recieved in paid users... I bet when he does get it back there is a possibility of going Pay members only and really restrict the non payers.

Remember he was out of town when this happened. Then he tried to get it fixed ASAP and discovered there were more problems than originally planned.

I will just be happy when it comes back online. It HAS been a week and I miss it. But I am not losing any sleep over it.

16. ock913

ock913 Guest

Anybody got a way of contacting Mr. Cole? If it is a $$ issue on getting the repairs done in a timely manner, I would be willing to pay the purchase price of another version or even 2. I am sure other users would be willing to assist in this matter as well. We all must agree that there are certainly a great # of people using the program for free. I am not knocking it in any way, if Mr. Cole did not want it that way, he has the ability to stop it. But, we all also must realize that operating a server database of this size costs a lot of money .............. MONTHLY! Not just a one time setup, but monthly. I sincerely appreciate what he does and to the last poster who made a comment on his house .............. that was in poor taste. Think back for a bit, when was the last time you experienced a major outage with DVD Profiler ... I can't remember one. We have had a nearly troublefree history with this software and I sincerely appreciate it. Since we have no way of reaching him right now, then I don't know how we could organize a donation fund to ease the burden of the repair costs. If anyone does have this ability or has a contact with Mr. Cole, please make a suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2004
  17. sambryan

sambryan Member

Poor taste is not ... I am defending the guy here.... I am just saying he isn't some fat cat who lives in the lap of luxury that is gonna take the money and run. No one is perfect and I will be the first to admit to that. It could use a little paint is all ;)

Did I say I was upset... NO

You need to re-read what I said and match what I said with the context. I was plannin on offering my services. Since I am in the server support field. You brother just pissed me off. So go re-edit your post again.

18. sambryan

sambryan Member

If I saw a Lambroghini sitting in front of a gold plated house I might think he was mis-appropriating funds.... But he lives in a normal house like most people do...

19. ock913

ock913 Guest

Relax, I was not calling you out. We all have opinions, even you and I. Sometimes those opinions will be different. To me ......... your comment sounded as if you were saying he lived in a run down house. If that is not what you meant, then I took it wrong. I apoligize, but that was the impression I got from reading it. I do want to point out however, there have been a couple different people making comments about going by his house. Lets accept his privacy as well. This is aside from DVD Profiler all together, do not go knocking on the guys door, calling his wife, and so on. That is just a simple privacy and respect issue. It just doesn't sit well with people thinking that strangers (using his software product does not make you invited guests) are looking up his info, driving buy his house, and calling and speaking to his wife about this issue. Again, that is MY opinion on the issue.

Anyway, that isn't the point of my post, the main issue is aiding Mr. Cole and Intervocative Software with a common goal for us all. ....... in a business atmosphere and manner.

20. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

I really don't understand why there are such strong opinions on this. The owner of DVD Profiler made a business decision when he set it up the way he did. The fact that the service suffered an interruption is simply getting to people because there is an issue confronting them.. (ie: Am I going to lose this service ?) This same question is being asked by subscribers and non-subscribers alike. I use the service and I didn't pay for it... why ??? because I can. That does not make me a leacher. I instead have to read all those pesky ads (but it is my choice).

I hope the service comes back... Would I pay a one time fee for it.. probably ! Would I pay a monthly fee for it... Absolutely not ! Would I prefer not to pay a penny for it... Absolutely !

It's all about choices. But one thing is for sure... If you are charging even 1 customer for this service then you have an obligation to provide that service and to restore it. I say the ducks should have been lined up.

Regards,
    CK

Last edited: Mar 4, 2004