1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R 8x

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jake7363, Feb 6, 2007.

1. jake7363

jake7363 Member

Hi,
    I am trying to burn a DVD from a Powerpoint Presentation. I have a Memorex DVD+R 8x that burns fine. I have another (Prism) that will go through the burn and tell me it's ok, but nothing is on the DVD. Can there be that much of a difference between manufacturers of DVDs, even though they are the same format and speed?

Thanks in advance,
    Jake

2. unolord

unolord Regular member

There can be and there is a huge difference in the quality of media. Most people here would advise u to dump the Memorex and get high quality media like Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Sony/Maxell/Fuji (made in japan). Plenty of posts here about crappy media or u can use:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

U also want to make sure u burn at a decent speed - generally half of the max rated speed on the package - and update your burner's firmware if possible.

3. jake7363

jake7363 Member

Thanks for the info!! I will follow up on the link, too.

You mentioned about the burn speed. Part of the problem is that the DVDs I am making are being used on a DVD player for our Church. The technology is older. I was doing OK until I ran out of my DVD blanks. Does the speed I am recording at matter to the DVD player, or is it just the media itself (i.e. DVD+R or DVD+RW)?

Thanks again!

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Jake,

Think of it this way.... If you are driving 100mh down the road you are going to skip right over some bumps in the road now if you were driving 30mh down that same road you are going to hit a lot more bumps. You want your laser on the DVD optical drive to hit all of those bumps. Slow the speed down on your burner to what you are able to tolerate so it can copy every little bit of data. Also as unolord has suggested you need to buy quality media.

5. jake7363

jake7363 Member

That's pretty clear...thanks much!

Time to get a new supply, it seems...

Regards,
    Jake