1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R backup Freezing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DCMega1, Sep 8, 2004.

1. DCMega1

DCMega1 Guest

Hey All... new to the forum. I looked through other threads, and found nothing that worked for me.
    My problem concerns burning DVD backups to disk. No matter what program I use, I keep having the same freezing problem once the burn is complete and I try to play it in my regular dvd player. The video freezes at the same 35 minute mark every time. I have burned several copies, using several different media (good quality to poor) and each time the video freezes at the same spot. I try jumping chapters to skip it, but it won't pass the problem spot.
    Here's the weird part... it plays perfectly fine on my computer, all the way through. I would think it's my backup files... but I've re-done them, using varying programs. Still no luck, same spot. Any ideas?
    FYI: I usually use DVDShrink, DVD Decrypter for the majority of my backups.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi DCMega1, You will at times find a purchased DVD movie that will play just fine but will give problems when trying to make a backup copy. This is from an area of corrupt data on the original. Its not bad enough to show up playing but will show up when being ripped. Since your bad spot is at the exact same place every time I think this is the problem. You can try exchanging the dvd for a new one if possible but you may get the same thing. Original dvd movies are pressed from a master not burned. So the problem may be on many copies. Good luck.

Jerry

3. DCMega1

DCMega1 Guest

Jerry - Thanks for the reply on this issue. I've actually noticed it on two separate movies now. I find it an odd coincidence that two movies I purchased have the same problem. This leads me to believe that either the burner, or the software I am using is causing the problem. I still don't understand why the backup can play perfectly fine on the computer's DVD drive, but not on my home theater one. Is the computer/DVDrom drive better equipped to handle errors than the regular home theater type? I also used IFOedit to play the ripped files, and the movie played perfectly.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Another cause of video freeze-up is poor quality blank media. You might want to try a different brand like Ritek or Verbatim.

Jerry

5. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Hi DCMega1
    I'm a newbie here too. I had the exact same problem. Played fine on the 'puter but not in the player. Turned out it was my Memorex media. I switched (eventually after many coasters) to Ritek Branded GO4's. Have had great success ever since. What disks are you using?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gateway 2.5ghz P4 XP home
    512 ram 80 gb hd
    DVDShrink, dvd decrypter, Nero 6
    LGE 4020b Ritek GO4's DVDInfoPro

As you wander down this path called life, let this one thing be you goal. Keep your eye upon the donut,,, and not upon the hole.[/small]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  6. DCMega1

DCMega1 Guest

I was using Memorex originally, then switched to Fujifilm... I'm guessing it's because they're both cheap media. Perhaps I'll go buy a small pack of a higher quality, and test on that. What's the best place to get Ritek cheaply?

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I get all my Ritek from here.
    http://www.meritline.com.

Another good choice that you can usually find in stores is Verbatim.

Jerry

8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

If you're using the good (Ritek/Ridata) media and you still suffer through the same freezing problems, a possible cause may be a screensaver trying to kick in at a specified interval or maybe even background processes such as a virus scanner or pop up killer. Any of these issues will affect the quality of your burn ...

Good Luck !

9. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

I have had good luck with memorex media before but then I bought a stack and every movie I burned using that stack of 25 was bad. They would play fine till about half way through the movie and freeze up. Funny thing, they all will play fine on my PC. I bought another stack of 25 of memorex DVD's and that stack will play fine both on my stand alone player and my PC. I have not had a problem with any disk from that stack. I guess with memorex it is a hit and miss if you get good media or not. I will try another brand next time.
    I still have the same question that you posted. Why would they play bad in my stand alone player but play fine on my PC? I know it is not my player because other DVD's I've burned will play fine on my stand alone player.

10. Berkner80

Berkner80 Regular member

BTY, I use DVD Shrink,IFOedit and RecordNow that came with my Sony DVD burner.

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The difference is most PC equipment is built much better than say a stand alone dvd player. Thats why you can buy a desktop player for about 30-40 dollars. A desktop player's first job is to read store bought movies which are pressed not burned. Then second in line is all the different burned media. Yes most can read burned media but not as good as a PC can. Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Jerry

12. martin:)

martin:) Member

hey...is anyone there?
    guys...i have a dvd drive and i'm trying to play a movie but for some fucked up reason it won't. i'm using intervideo...when i choose it under the choice of programs i have...the pc freezes and it won't play.

anyone have any advice? this is pissing me off

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  14. DCMega1

DCMega1 Guest

I hooked up my PC to the TV via a s-video out on the video card and played the movie in question with the computer. It worked fine that way, since the PC is able to read everything better than the tabletop player. My guess is that it is the media, like everyone has been suggesting. I plan to buy better stuff this weekend and find out for sure. By the way, everything you said concerning the reason why tabletop players can't read as well as PC drives, makes sense to me. Thanks!

15. C.j.

C.j. Member

Hello 2 all, I have been having the same problem with the freezing up on my stand alone DVD player. It gets me mad because the DVD-R backups work fine on my PC. Lately, I have been recording to DVD-RW first to make sure it wasn't something in the DVD rip. This way I'm not wasting my DVD-R discs. When I first bought my Plextor PX-708A earlier this year, I used TDK DVD-R's. Then I bought Ritek G04's. Both discs gave me no problems. The freezing up all started happening recently. Could it be a bad DVD-R situation every now and then? I read in the forum about screensavers and programs running in the background on your PC having something to do with it. Maybe? From now on I will disable my firewall, anti-virus progs when making DVD's to see if it helps any. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Later...C.j.

16. C.j.

C.j. Member

Oh...forgot to mention I use DVD Shrink 3.2. I'm going to try the older versions to see if it makes a difference.

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

C.J., Yes you should shut down everything running in the background while burning a dvd. Don't surf the net or play games or anything else while burning. DVD burning uses most of your CPU power. Good luck.

Jerry

18. wilfey

wilfey Member

Hi I came across this thread whilst after something else, just an idea but could it be down to cooling probs as stand alone DVD players tend to be quite slim now and also may have a cable/sattalite box and video unit stacked ontop where as a PC system has lots of air plus 1 or 2 fans, as for any PC that did play when was the last time you cleaned your case/fan out, I also agree with an ealier comment ripped DVD will never be as good as Original as they are pressed from a master and not burned, hope this may help as i am looking to fit a 12 or 5 volt fan in my standalone