1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R burn problems - Help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dwc, Sep 12, 2004.

1. wylds

wylds Guest

I learned a lot from you flip. Are you still at 4X on all recordings? I have the same drive as he does the Liteon SOHW 812S and love it. I am also using the same Riteks but after up grading my firmware I still could not record at 8X so went back to 4X as you suggested even though it doesnt seem to have any problems at 6X I still do it at 4X and no more problems. I also use a Toshiba SD 3950 playback unit. One coaster out of a little over a hundred backups is not bad huh? Seems as how a lot of peoples problems is the race to make it record faster..
    Bill

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

wylds,

Yes, I still burn at 4x. Some people have good luck burning at 8x, I'm not one of them :-( ... so 5 more minutes for me.

3. dwc

dwc Member

I burned 2 movies tonight at the same settings I used previously, using Decrytper and Shrink, 4X burn, however I used Verbatim DVD+RW disks. The PlexTools analysis of the burns indicate these are both excellent burns. I will try 2 more tomorrow to validate this issue is resolved.

I realize I am being very long winded, but I want to let Flip218 especially, and all of the many other people who have responded to this post, or posted other messages of value to resolving these problems, that I am very gratefull for the assistance. For personal reasons, being able to peform good burns as soon as possible is of more importance to me than the average person. I will post tomorrow afetr burning more to validate issue is resolved. Irregardless of resolution, I would like to thank all for the assistance provided! Thank You!

4. Trom

Trom Regular member

I have a Plextor 708-A. I had it in an old P111 system and it worked with no problems. I have since built a system arounf an AMD64 3200+ CPU an MSI K8N Neo Mobo and a WD Raptor. When I first installed XP I did not install the SATA drivers I let XP install the built in xp ones. Again I had no problems. Since I have re-installed XP(using F6/SDTA drivers) and installed the NForce IDE drivers, and now have problems with my plextor. Plexitools does not work properely, no information is supplied under "Drive Information" and in "General Information" the firmware version is not displayed. Having thralled the net I have come across many sugestions that some DVD burners(esp Plextor's) have problems with the NForce IDE drivers. I am still looking into this before I do yet another re-install but it might be related to your problem. BTW I have just installed SP2 and it has made no difference regarding the Plextor one way or the other.

Addittion: One other thing my Plextor also will only burn at 2.4(3312 KB/s), however I was led to believe that windows was responsible for this, it had a cap of 2.4. Any ideas guys!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  5. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Has your Px-708 ever worked correctly in this new PC?

I have a PX-708 under windows XP Pro (SP2) and had no issues at all with it in terms of burn speed. Could this problem be related to your mother board's chipset drivers?

6. dwc

dwc Member

I found the following items fixed my problems with my Plextor 712-A having bad burns.
    1. Removed 2nd DVD burner from the same IDE channel.
    2. Changed to Ridata branded 8X DVD+R disks from Ritek 8X DVD-R. (The 8X -R were bad disks would not burn well on other machines).
    3. Uninstalled the NVIDIA IDE driver and using the Micrsoft original IDE Driver.
    4. Insatlled adaptec ASPI drivers 4.60.

7. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

>> 1. Removed 2nd DVD burner from the same IDE channel.

This is not always a problem on PC's. However, it does vary based on chip-set used on motherboard. .

>> 2. Changed to Ridata branded 8X DVD+R disks from Ritek 8X DVD-R. (The 8X -R >> were bad disks would not burn well on other machines).

A logical move, considering the PX-708 is not rated to burn DVD - R blanks at 8X only 4X. Now you can take advantage of the drives true burn speed with +R blanks.

>> 3. Uninstalled the NVIDIA IDE driver and using the Micrsoft original IDE Driver.

I would suspect this was one of your main problems with your drive.

>> 4. Insatlled adaptec ASPI drivers 4.60.

XP does not need ASPI drivers to use the drive. However, some applications such as smart- ripper need them to run properly.

8. flip218

dwc,

does this mean your up and running ... successfully backing up your movies?

9. dwc

dwc Member

Yes, it looks like my burns are working fine now at 8X on my Plextor 712-A using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Thanks for your help flip218, I don't know how long it would have taken me on my own! I believe my main problem was the NVidia IDE driver, and the Ritek 8X -R disks which would not burn on other machines either. Only about 50% were playable, and none were real good quality burns. I purchased both the 8x -R and 8X +R Riteks from New Eegg. The new Ritek 8X +R have Ridata always right.... branded on the top silver side, and show RITEK manufacturer id in Nero Infotools. The bad 8X -R have only a RIDATA brand in the plastic ring, and show manufacture ID RITEKG05 in Nero Infotools. The burns would work with both burners installed, however the time to rip/encode/burn doubled or tripled, so I removed 1 and times are back to normal. Getting 6-8 minute rips, 12-15 minute deep analysis, 12-15 encoding, 6-8 minute burns. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

10. flip218

dwc,

Great news ... best of luck to your family member.