1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R burning freezes computer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hhsdc34, Nov 6, 2003.

1. hhsdc34

hhsdc34 Member

I have a Sony Vaio RS322 with a DVD-RW. I use Nero and RecordNow to burn in DVD's. For the first three months it went perfect. Now while in the middle of burning a DVD and sometimes a CD the computer will freeze up. At first I thought it was the DVD Media and changed brands. That didn't work. I called up Sony and they had me reload the software and that didn't work. I make sure that there is nothing running on the machine before I burn a DVD and that still does not work. The entire system freezes so I don't see any error messages. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well what will Probably work is if you Just re-install your OS..I know it might take 4-8 hours to re-install everything but it is better than waiting a few days and not solveing the problem..What I do that makes it easy is after you have everything installed and Running Properly you Make a DVD Disk Image of your HD and when you have a Major problems Just re-install the Disk Image...Just a Thought

3. Needakip

Needakip Regular member

did you install some New software before this problem started to happen ? . , or it may be your screen saver or another program trying to start.

4. hhsdc34

hhsdc34 Member

I haven't installed any new software. It doesn't freeze in the same place. Sometimes it will be 15% in writing the dvd sometimes 67% and once at 98%. I've turned off the screensaver.

5. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Are you overclocking your CPU?

Have you tried defragging your hard drive?

6. hhsdc34

hhsdc34 Member

I've not done anything to the CPU clock and I did run the microsoft defrag.

7. koola

koola Guest

Lets not get ahead of our self and re-load winxp! First of all, check your ASPI drivers as winxp and other programs communicate through the ASPI drivers. If all the ASPI drivers are ok, you then need to look at your drivers for the device.

Try and reinstall the DVD writer in winxp and see if it reacts differently. If the drive instals ok and you get no error messages, then you now need to give it a test.

On completion, if you are still having probs, go to the Micor$oft update site and apply all the latest patches for your OS. Now give it a try.

If it still doesn't work, call a PC doc and pray! Good luck

8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Is it just when you are burning or using other apps?

Have you changed IDE connections or unplugged/plugged anything different in? bent pin or something.....

9. hhsdc34

hhsdc34 Member

I've not changed any hardware on the machine.

10. matt_a_s

matt_a_s Member

hhsdc34, I'd suggest that you go to msconfig and unchecked everything in the startup tab and then restart your computer.

11. koola

koola Guest

Reload all your device drivers into windows.
    This may correct the problem as I have done some research and found out that you might have a corrupt driver and thats why your PC freezes, then locks.

12. hhsdc34

hhsdc34 Member

If I check off all of the startup in MSconfig is it effective only the first time I reboot or everytime I reboot? I've talked to Sony and they had me reload the drivers, uninstall the drive and reinstall it, and load up with new patches. It worked once then started to crank out coasters. I'm getting a little leary about making coasters since the bill is adding up.

13. matt_a_s

matt_a_s Member

It will be effective everytime you reboot. However, you can still recheck any of the boxes that you want at anytime even after rebooting.

14. hhsdc34

hhsdc34 Member

The saga continues. I called Sony Help Desk (again) and they said the problem was obiviously with having Nero and the Record Now installed together. I argued that I had the problem before I installed Nero, the only reason I installed Nero was to see if the problem was with the software. They would have none of that and had me uninstall Nero, run MSconfig, disable everything in startup, run chkdsk to see if there was any bad parts on the disk then try and burn a DVD. Tried burning a DVD and, added another coaster to the pile. I then called up Sony again. This time they had me uninstall RecordNow thinking that was the problem, even though I explained I had the same problem with Nero. I also had to explain that I had no recovery disks because I was trying to make a recovery disk when all of this happened. Now I have to order a recover disk from Sony$$$$. As a last resort I tried to make a recovery disk again. It looks like I might be able to make a recovery disk with CDR's but not DVD. In the midst of making a recovery disk with a DVD it once again froze the system. Unfortunately I ran out of CDR's and will have to get some more.

:::As an aside, does anyone know if Sony has there help center in India? From the 6 Service people I have talked to only one person did not have an indian accent.