1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r burnt but can not play them

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mr-k, Feb 23, 2004.

1. mr-k

mr-k Member

I have no problems with my desktop XP dvd shrink/nero 5 with Pioneer ao4
    My laptop is a different story, XP/dvd shrink/nero 6 datawrite 2x discs, the files are put into video-ts folder in nero and the disc burns ok. all the info is there same size, but the disc will not play error code 89020003?? or invalid format. I noticed with nero6 when i put the files into video-ts folder the icon changes from my powerdvd icon to a page with a clef(music note).still default settings. I also tried using dvdxcopy which works fine on desktop and not on my laptop. It is a Time laptop with Toshiba dvd-r sd-r6112. the first two disks I burn ok the last 10 are all coasters. ALL INFO ON DISK HAS AN ERROR BUT I CAN WATCH ALL VOB'S SEPERATLY. Like the TS navigation file is corrupt

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mr-k,

Ok, let's see where we are -

You say on your laptop they all burn "OK", the file size is the same but it doesn't seem to play -

We need to attack this on two (2) different fronts -

First, Media - We need to be using a top grade media -Ya might not need it for Data but for DVD's, it's do or die.

I recommend Ritek G04 or Verbatim, you won't go wrong there at all and, how do I put this, [bold]YOU REALLY NEED QUALITY ![/bold]

Second, laptops as a rule aren't brimming over with memory. When you do DVD backups, especially during the burn stage, your PC needs all the resources you can supply for that task. That's why DVDShrink needs a minimum of 256MB of RAM to even operate. You can't use your laptop PC for anything at all when Shrink/Nero is busy working. That means behind the scenes too. Go into msconfig and shut all those turkeys down. No one is to play in the barnyard while DVD stuff is being done :)

I'm also sensing that you aren't running the latest version of Shrink. The newest version will start Nero, behind the scenes, to automatically burn your Dvd for you, nothing for you to touch and nowhere for a human mistake to be made - So here it is - It would be an excellent idea to put it on both machines.

Shrink download - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

I think that should do you - BUT don’t toss those “coasters” - when everything is off in msconfig I want you to reboot, open your PowerDVD and try those discs again, you may find that some will work - cleaned memory and a cleaned clipboard make a lot of difference -

See how it works and get back to us -

Cheers,

Pete

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

BTW, I noticed you have XP O/S, if you have Roxio installed, give it a blindfold and a bulett in the back of the head (uninstall it) - it is a true Judas, it will cause the downfall of almost anything - (especially Nero)

and, I almost forgot, Welcome to the Club :)

-I have no clue about the PowerDVD icons, I've never noticed them in mine, course I've never seen my butt either, but that doesn't say it isn't there, I just have never bothered to look :D

"P"

4. mr-k

mr-k Member

Scuba dude! do u know scubasteve? (big daddy)lol.
    Sussed the problem thx for ur help, and ur time.
    Half the disks I burnt were ok, and half coasters, because I was trying different things.
    Tried them on a sand alone DVD player.
    Only my laptops POWER DVD! has a problem with them, I thought this! if anything would have played better. no probs with medi player or windvd 5.
    My fault digging to deep into things, problems are often simple.
    still not happy there not 100% I like power dvd and would like to pay my back-up with it.
    I will see what media the burner likes best.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mr-k,

Come-on now my friend, aren't you glad you didn't lose ALL of those discs ?? You have to be happy we got to the bottom of things without any major surgery.

Just write those other discs off as a cost of learning :)

Have a good day -

Pete