1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD - R compatability

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mav82, May 13, 2003.

1. mav82

mav82 Member

I have just bought a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-105 and with it some Datawrite Classic 4.7G General purpose DVD - R discs. With both roxio DVD copier and DVD X Copy i have the same error message
    "Incompatible medium installed".

I was wondering whether or not anyone else had the same problem, or whether the discs are crap or whether my drive has a problem detecting DVD-R discs.

Other than that the drive does work fine, plays DVD's and burns CD's. If it is the discs can anyone recommend some 4 speed discs that work well with this burner?

Please help.
    Thanks
    mav82

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Datawrite Classic X2 are a pretty good blank media in my opinion.
    My Pioneer 104 loves them.

Try either Nero Burning Rom (which I've used for 150 DVD-R's) or RecordNow Max.
    These 2 seem to be the most highly used burning applications of Afterdawn users .

I don't know about DVD X Copy but there is a different forum to use if you have questions about it , and that forum is here: http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/

Last edited: May 13, 2003
  3. MikeBUK

MikeBUK Guest

As herbsman says it's best to get Nero 5.5 latest. Then don't forget to use the 'advanced options' in DVDXCopy to set the burn using Nero. Also make sure DVDXCopy and your burining Rom are set as compatible with your operating system (i.e go into properties - compatibilty, and change if necessary). I doubt if it is your discs but try using a DVD-RW to test it. If these don't work you may have a faulty drive in which case send it back!

4. pauley_b

pauley_b Guest

I have a new sony computer with pioneer dvd burner. Using dvd decrypter, dvd2one, and finally nero 5.5 to burn.
    I've gone through about 15 $3 dvd-r's and getting pretty pissed. for whatever reason, a few times, I've been successful in burning /backing up my dvd movies. however, the other times, 8 out of 10 times, nero will begin burning for 1% (long enough to ruin the dvd-r) and then will say something like "internal write failure" or something like that. Is this the media I'm using? or am I missing something else? PLEASE HELP!!!!???
    thanks

5. herbsman

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 105 ?

I use:
    Smartripper
    DVD2One
    Nero

[UDF Mode]

When about to burn did you
    Open Nero (Wizard is okay) > DVD > Compile a DVD > Other DVD Formats > DVD Video >
    Click on red VIDEO_TS Folder...drag n' drop all .VOB .BUP .IFO (it needs all these files)
    Burn (X1) - Without MULTI-SESSION ??

6. pauley_b

pauley_b Guest

I'll try that tonight.
    I promised myself that I was NOT going to make any more attempts with the ridiculously priced $3 + dvd-r's at the local electronic stores. I ordered these http://www.accaproducts.com/prindv47genp1.html and should be in tomorrow. I'll also download smartripper to try that.
    I believe I have the dvd-rw dvr-104 pioneer model.
    I think it's a 2x burner. I've been using Nero Express, but know what you are talking about with the Regular Nero and will try that. How do I go about changing the burn speed to 1x?

Thanks for your help!
    Paul

7. herbsman

You will have a drop down box just after you press the burn button...select X1 (even if X2 IS there).

Good luck Paul.

8. MikeBUK

MikeBUK Guest

Always best to test on a DVD RW if anything goes wrong - saves a-lot of cash. Also make sure you have the latest Nero update - 5.5.28 I believe.

9. herbsman

While we're talking DVD-RW , I bought a Mirror DVD-RW [£2:99] and behaves very well in my Pioneer 104.
    A lot better than cheap Datasafe DVD-RW media I must say.

I haven't tried the X2 Datasafe DVD-RW yet mind

? : )

10. pauley_b

pauley_b Guest

Alright everyone... STILL SUCKS!
    this is the error message I'm getting.
    by the way... I'm ripping by dvd decrypter, compressing with dvd2one, and then burning with the latest NERO at 1x speed.
    SEE PHOTO
    http://www.prsolutions.com/error.jpg

I NEED YOUR HElP Fellas!
    I'm about ready to toss my computer out the window.
    pioneer dvd-rw DVR-104

thanks!
    paul

11. herbsman

Did you select 'Without Multi-Session' ?

It definitely isn't a media problem...

I dont really understand why your burner isn't working a full function..never had an ongoing problem with mine at any time.
    From the screen grab I can see that the burn was only 51 seconds into its business , then failed. Most irksome !

Have you tried Smartripper at all to rip ?
    I use Smartripper & DVD Decrypter myself [whatever is needed for the specific task].

12. pauley_b

pauley_b Guest

Hey there,
    Yes, I did without multisession.
    I have never tried Smart Ripper. I tried to download it but the version I got looked like it was in German or something. Any suggestions on an english version for that? Also, Which DVD decrypter version are you using. I'm using 3.1.6
    A buddy of mine has an older version that he says works fine.

Other than that... I'm at least glad to know that this isn't a media issue. I was going crazy trying all kinds of different dvd-r's.

thanks for any advice you have. really helps when you're completely LOST and frustrated.

Paul

13. herbsman

Smartripper : http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/smartripper.cfm

I use Smartripper the most , especially for just 'movie-only' back ups but DVD Decrypter is sound at it's job. I am using 3.1.6 , no problems.

If ripping using Smartripper to extract movie-only you'll need to manually take the .IFO because only main movie .VOB's are automatically selected.
    After hitting the FILE tab , to the right you'll see the cloumn that has .VOB's selected.
    You need to select the .IFO that is 2 above the main movie .VOB (s).
    ---------------------------------------------

A typical VIDEO_ST folder of a DVD is similar to :

VIDEO_TS BUP 16,384
    VIDEO_TS IFO 16,384
    VIDEO_TS VOB 43,008
    VTS_01_0 BUP 77,824
    VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824 <--- *
    VTS_01_0 VOB 1,695,744
    VTS_01_1 VOB 1,073,565,696\
    VTS_01_2 VOB 1,048,565,696 \ <-- This is the Main movie
    VTS_01_3 VOB 1,048,565,696 /
    VTS_01_4 VOB 589,365,248 /
    VTS_02_0 BUP 18,432
    VTS_02_0 IFO 18,432
    VTS_02_0 VOB 43,008
    VTS_02_1 VOB 6,014,976

So in this case it'll be : VTS_01_0 IFO 77,824
    ---------------------------------------------

If you were doing an episode DVD though you'd select ALL. Have a go with Smartripper mate & let me know how ya got on : )

14. pauley_b

pauley_b Guest

Well,
    Downloaded Smartripper, ran DVD2one, ran Nero, added all the files, 1x speed, and same result.

My guess is that there is something up with my Burner. Weird thing is, I was able to burn 2 dvd's (movie back-ups) but they were so random, I did everything the same and was able to get 2 out of 10 tries to be successful. Everything else burned for 1% and then error'd out.

I have the latest firmware for my Pioneer Dvd-rw DVR-104. Not sure what else to do...

any help is appreciated.
    thanks
    Paul

15. pauley_b

pauley_b Guest

Well,
    Downloaded Smartripper, ran DVD2one, ran Nero, added all the files, 1x speed, and same result.

My guess is that there is something up with my Burner. Weird thing is, I was able to burn 2 dvd's (movie back-ups) but they were so random, I did everything the same and was able to get 2 out of 10 tries to be successful. Everything else burned for 1% and then error'd out.

I have the latest firmware for my Pioneer Dvd-rw DVR-104. Not sure what else to do...

any help is appreciated.
    thanks
    Paul

16. herbsman

Yes I would agree , it would definitely seem to be a hardware problem.

17. radioman_

radioman_ Member

For what it's worth I have the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104 2X burner that came with my box. Also, I have have a generic DVD drive (and a Plexwriter 40x CD burner that I moved over from my old machine). I buy these no-name DVD blanks at the local computer show every 6-8 weeks or so, but I may go mail-order and save 15 cents per blank.

I rip my movies with DVD Shrink and burn 'em with Nero at 2X - with nary a coaster. I find Nero and DVD Shrink to be rock solid dependable.
    I guess I've been very fortunate, judging by some of the posts here.

Now - a shade off topic - I can't say enough good things about DVD Shrink. I have ripped and burned the old Dr. Mercury way (a usenet refernce) back when it took a handful of appz and plenty of patience to backup a DVD. But in the simplest way possible while still having some control over the process DVD Shrink does exactly what I want it to do. So for *me* it's the perfect app. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

18. herbsman

I find DVD2One better than DVD Shrink myself but 'DVD Shrink' is at least free.
    Makes for happy burning either way!: )

19. kftweedy

kftweedy Guest

Okay -- this thread SEEMS to be the nexus of my major frustrations with burning DVD-R. I've been practicing on DVD-RW up until I'm ready to burn a set of "home movies" for family and friends and now I step into the "multi-session" dilema. In my naivete, when Nero mentioned it (*just* as I was about to burn the first DVD-R) I clicked on "OK" and now the disc gets an "this disc is dirty" message from my Sony DAV-450 player-amp. (This unit plays the DVD-RWs just fine and I have actually used DVD-RW as a sort of video-tape from "taping" things on the Sony "Giga" Tivo-like thing.)

ANY IDEAS or SUGGESTIONS?

thx ... kevin

20. herbsman

In Nero burn 'Without Multi-Session'

[​IMG]