1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R DL drive not reading in Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Funkdok, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Funkdok

Funkdok Member

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a NEC 3500A DVD+-RW DVD+R DL drive. However when i put my verbatim dvd+R DL discs in the drive they are only recognized as blank cd-r's. I have the latest version of Media Creator and Socnic record now, both with double layer dvd write/read support, however even in these programs the blank dvd+R DL's are still showing up as blank cd-r's with 703MB free space. I dont know what to do anymore, as i have 6 blank dvd+r DL's and all of them show up as the same thing.

Is there any particular setting or program, or anything that i have to adjust update anything please i cant figure out what the problem is at all, and its driving me crazy. My computer also shows them as blank cd-r's

TIA

-Gary

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I always though a blank disc would show up as 0 bytes free. Did the 3500 come with your Dell? Or did you install it yourself?

I've got a Dell 8250 w/ dual layer Plextor 716. When I put in a blank cd or dvd ... it read 0 bytes free in properties.

Have you tried burning a dvd to a dual layer disc with Shrink or DVD Decrypter?

3. flip218

*moved from dvd-r newbies*

4. Funkdok

Funkdok Member

I put the drive in myself, however i also have a Philips DVD8631 that came with the DELL in Nov 04, that is suppossed to be double layer also, and it does the same thing, I currently have Roxio Media Center 7 installed and Sonic Record Now latest version also installed each of which claim to be able to read DVD+D DL however, in each of those programs as well, it still shows up as a blank cd-r 703mb..

Are there any windows settings i need to re-configure, i'm totally lost here as to what to do

When i load dvd decrypter, it tells me that the disc in the drive = not a dvd

5. flip218

It's because it's blank. Do you have both drives installed in the pc? What did you put for the jumpers?

You need to try to see if you can burn with another program. I mentioned DVD Decrypter because if your doing dual layer, there is no need for compression. You just rip the original dvd in ISO mode, then burn the ISO with DVD Decrypter.

6. Funkdok

Funkdok Member

both drives are installed, and both drives are set to cable select. the philips being the master and the nec being the slave.

right now i am ripping a dvd in the philips and have the blank double layer in the nec, which i will load dvd decrypter and attempt to copy it with.

7. Funkdok

Funkdok Member

Just ripped a DVD 7.8gb's and tried to burn it on the double layer dvd+r DL, and dvd decrypter read the blank media as a cd-r...??

Are many others having a problem with programs or drives reading verbatim dvd+r DL media, or is this just an isolated problem that i am having??

TIA

-Gary

8. flip218

can you burn single layer dvds?

9. Funkdok

Funkdok Member

i can burn single layer dvd's no problem, have been using TDK's and Philips Brand both - + media on both drives without problems in media creator 7, dvd decrypter, and sonic record now.

I just cant get the double layer dvd+R DL's to read properly in any program.

I'm running XP Pro, and both drives are Double layer write and read, but only reading as a cd-r when the DL is put into either drive.

On teh DL media it says that only a DL capable drive can read such a disc, well these drives read it just as the wrong media.

If i put these discs in my other non DL drive, on my other PC, they are not read at all, by drive which is a plextor DVD-+RW

So i'm totally confused as to why none of these programs, my computer or anything is allowing me to read these..

DO you think its a faulty bacth i have 6 verbatim, that are brand new, computer, software etc...??

TIA

-Gary

10. flip218

I would swap the plextor +/- drive w/ a dual layer drive and see if you can get it to work in your other pc.

My guess is ... you've got conflicting software somewhere.

11. Funkdok

Funkdok Member

do you think i should try removing the Sonic software or the Roxio software first and see, as those are the only software i have besides the dvd decryper installed or just swap it at first.

I truly thank you for your responses and feedback its greatly appreiciated!

-Gary

12. flip218

before you do anything with software ... I would test one of the dual layer drives on your other pc. Just use DVD Decrypter

13. Troy1x

Troy1x Guest

Set one up as master and the other as slave, cable select sucks period.

Sometimes you have to stop listening to windows cause sometimes it doesn't know what it is talking about.

-Troy1x

14. Troy1x

Troy1x Guest

Sometimes it does help, by making sure the drives are master and slave. Iam just saying this so ur drives aren't getting mixed up in BIOS, some drives don't like each other when you have them in cable select.

Oh and ignore the windows comment I was thinking of something else.

-Troy1x

15. flip218

lol ... all my drives are set to cable select. Have never had a problem.

16. Troy1x

Troy1x Guest

Yea but it may not be a problem for you though.