1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R DL Media

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by sk68, Oct 19, 2010.

1. sk68

sk68 Member

Sorry if this question is stupid...

I have been trying to burn an 8x Imation dvd+r DL media on my lite-on sohw-1673S (4X), but Imgburn keeps defaulting to 2.4x. I can't understand why??

Thanks for any insight into this

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Media 8x yet you say your drive is only 4x ?,also low quality media make claims of fast speeds however writing to them means you won't get full speed also be prepared for read errors,you are posting regarding xbox 1 & not 360 as not all original xbox games need be put on a dl disc they can be placed on a dvd 5

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  3. sk68

sk68 Member

Thanks scorpNZ.

Yes I didn't realise that I should put this in a seperate xbox 360 discussion category. I just saw 'XBOX backups' and put it there immediately.

Regarding my dvd-writer, it is a few years old. (LITEON SOHW 1673S). As per its specs, it can burn at 4X. I am OK with that.

The problem is that the media (imation) that is available in the market is rated at 8X. It does not say 1X-8X, as it does on media generally. Does that mean that the media is supposed to be burnt at 8X ONLY??

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

No it will still work ok if burnt slower than rated speed & since your drive is i assume 4x max you won't be able to burn faster in any case

5. sk68

sk68 Member

That's my question scorpNZ - I want to burn at 4x but Imgburn keeps defaulting to 2.4x . The log shows a message which says 'Speed miscompare..' I can't understand why? I have also tried the 'running man' icon in Imgburn to set the speed for both the drive and media to 4x.

I am hoping that I will have more luck in getting playable DVDs if i burn at 4x for my xbox 360 .

I do not want to burn at 8x

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Imation aren't up there with the likes of verbatim when it comes to quality,if you want good quality media which can be burnt at max speed then verb from singapore is what you need,write rrors when burnt at faster speeds occur on crap media,as for 2.4 x that's what i burn my 360 games at mind you the medai is 2.4x...lol.. however i have burnt those same discs at 1x with no issues,there is faster verbs at 8x which can be burned at 8x with no issues,if your downloading games rather than making your own then you can expect to get a lot of non working games,the 360 foruum is full of topics with "help my burned game won't play" etc & i'm not talking about wrong firmware for drive

7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

imation are total crap.. they even fail the "exacting" tdk disk selection process. :)

buy good disks and your troubles will all go away.. the ONLY recommended disks for a 360 are verbatim!!!

8. sk68

sk68 Member

Thanks for the reply scorpNZ.

Yes, I downloaded the 2 games I was trying to burn. My xbox 360 recognized the disc, showed me the intro video. Some options like practice and training were working, but not the full game. So I guessed the game files were not the problem, my media was.

A lot of forums ask you to burn at 4x instead of 2.4x, which I was not able to do for some odd reason. I even updated the firmware of my dvd writer, still no luck.

As for the verbatims, all I could find in the local market are MII, and that too in a pack of 10. I would have risked it if I had an option to buy one. I have no other use for DL media.

Thanks again for your answers.

9. joeathome

joeathome Member

sk68, the advice was spot on burn at 1x for best results, i use riteks works well for me
    once get the details right, its worth the effort everyone makes a few bad burns, Cheers

10. sk68

sk68 Member

Thanks joe, I will give that a try.

Cheers