1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R DL write error

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rlschneck, Apr 21, 2005.

1. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

Hello,

First time poster, I hope this is not a stupid question. I got a plextor px716a dual-layer burner, and some ridata dl discs. Two of the discs (so far) out of 15 have been ruined due to errors at the beginning of the burning process, or so it would seem. One such error said "power calibration area is full," then the disc ejects. I can put the disc back in and the program (Roxio Disc Copier) still recognizes it as a Blank DVD+R Dual Layer disc, but it just gives me an error again--sometimes a different error.

The other errors that I get are:

D: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A("Seek, synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error - Medium Error." [03/02/00])

D: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A("Invalid field in CDB - Illegal request." [05/24/00])

Anybody know if the problem is the media, the software, or the hardware?

by the way, i use clonedvd2 with anydvd running in the background to rip .iso file, then burn with roxio disc copier.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

First post hu?

Your question looks exactly the same here as it did on this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/177720

Must be someone else using your name?

I just have something else to add to what I already answered in the other thread. Why are you using Roxio at all?
    Just use CloneDVD2 and select Clone DVD, and it will back up and write you whole DVD with far less problems than Roxio.

3. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

actually, i was hoping that someone would offer advice on/critique my method. (sorry for the double post by the way, call me impatient i guess)

the only reason that i follow this tedious process (clonedvd2 to rip --> roxio disc copier to burn) is because there are no options or dialogs in clonedvd2 that show me that the program knows that it is going to burn a dual-layer disc... which is un-nerving. unless i have just overlooked it. or maybe it knows how to burn a DL disc, but just doesn't feel like reassuring me that it won't compress my 7GB .iso to 4.7GB, or do something else that messes up my $5 discs. am i a distrusting person? anyway, the short answer is that i do not know that clonedvd2 knows how to burn DL discs... unless someone like you tells me different...

thanks again, i really appreciate your advice!

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I do believe you just over looked it in Clone DVD2.

[bold]Look here[/bold]

[​IMG]

5. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

again, thank you for your patient help.

i have seen that drop-down menu, but mine only has two options: DVD-5, and Custom. weird. last night i put a dvd into my rom and put a blank dual-layer disc into my burner, and took a closer look at that particular drop-down menu (because i was encouraged to hear that you thought that i could just use clonedvd2 and avoid the two-step process). unfortunately, i did not have all of those nice options that your screen shot shows... hmmmm. i wonder if i do not have the latest version of clonedvd2. or maybe there are different editions, e.g. home edition and professional edition, or something like that??

any thoughts?

6. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

p.s. have you used clonedvd2 a lot for burning DL discs? or do you know someone who has? only asking because i'm wondering if it is tried-and-true for DL work.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you by any chance using the trial version? This could be the problem I don't think the trial will let you burn DL disks. Make sure you have the newest version 2.8.1.1

There really is no other reason you shouldn't have that option.

yes I have burned several DL disk's with CloneDVD2 and it works perfect!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  8. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

yes, i'm sure that's it. i think i do have a cracked trial version. i read the rules for this forum, so i don't think this question is out of bounds, but if you do not want to answer, i certainly understand: did you pay for your full version of clonedvd2? if not, perhaps you could suggest a torrent website or alternative.

in any case, i appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. if you are still interested in using DL discs--i've scoured the internet thoroughly and the cheapest i could find were these ridata discs from american-digital.com for $4.69/disc. but beware, the failure rate seems to be about 1/6, from my experience so far. when i've gone through the 50 discs that i bought, i'm going to send all the faulty ones back to ritek to see if they will replace them. if i find anything cheaper or more reliable i will post again.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It's no problem I will be glad to answer, and yes I pay for all my software. I truly do not believe in cracking or illegally obtaining software. That's just my view of course and I know a lot of people don't feel the same way I do, but if I like a program then I have no problem supporting them by paying for it. This only helps everyone for better product's in my opinion.

I prefer the verbatim DL disk's my self much better success rate than the Ritek's I had. I am still going to wait until these disk come down in price and more companys start making them so we can get better media.

10. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

in your opinion, does roxio sukc?

because couldn't i just use roxio as a one-step process... or does anydvd not work with roxio?

thanks, bbmayo, i will leave you alone after this question. thank you for your kind help.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Roxio IMO suxs! It will work with AnyDVD though so if you have it you could just make sure AnyDVD is running and simply use the copy disk feature.

I guess I shouldn't say it sux's, but IMO Nero is far superior to Roxio.

12. rlschneck

rlschneck Guest

hey, i know i said i would leave you alone, but i have a really quick question for you (or anyone who cares to answer).

do you use the "remove annoying adverts and trailers" option in anydvd? i want to use it, but i'm afraid that it may remove something that it shouldn't. i hate those stupid ads and trailers before the dvd even goes to the main menu, but i don't want anydvd to remove a legit extra by accident.

do you have any experience with this issue?

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Sorry I have never used that feature myself because I mostly just back up the main movie anyway without anything extra. All I can say is give it a try. Then let us know if it actually works?

14. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Roxio has changed hands and is now owned by Sonic. I would highly recommend getting rid of it and using what most users have suggested.