1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R Drive not reading DVD format?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by thekep, Apr 4, 2005.

1. thekep

thekep Member

Hey my name is mike and i am having a problem with my Sony Laptop model PCG-K25. I dont know what really caused my problem but i was just making back-up copies of my home dvd's with dvd decrypter and dvd shrink. I've done this many times in the past and nothing went wrong with my computer. Now my CD drive doesent read a blank DVD or an Actual Store bought DVD. It will run microsoft disks and play music cd's and burn music cd's but it just wont read any DVD format. When a insert a dvd nothing happens it will just think for a while and make funny noises from the cd drive (it doesent make noises when using a CD-R, only with DVD-R). If you could help me with my problem i would really appreciate it.

2. gamename

gamename Regular member

i am assuming that by cd drive you mean cd/dvd read and burn drive, because you said that you had backed up alot of movies.when i had this problem it was a software issue. i had anydvd and dvd43 installed at the same time.if you have installed any new software recently,delete it and see if that helps.

3. thekep

thekep Member

yeah there is only one cd drive on my laptop. It will still write and read cd-r's and ready software disks. But if i put in a store bought dvd it wont read it, and if i put in a DVD-R it wont read that either. So you are saying that i should install AnyDVD and DVD43 or should i uninstall the programs that i had recently installed if any?

4. McBrat

McBrat Regular member

I had the same problem in a PC...turned out it was the drive. Obviously try the software solution first but I hope the laptop is still under warranty just in case.

5. thekep

thekep Member

thats crazy though how a drive can be defected when it still reads and writes CD-R's. I wish i did the warrenty thing.

6. McBrat

McBrat Regular member

strange but true...I'm sure it has something to do with how it burns but haven't taken the time to research it on howstuffworks.com

7. thekep

thekep Member

i think this is probably ahardware issue which sucks.