1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R is choppy. DVDxCOPY. Ive tried EVERYTHING! Help Me Please!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by brobb19, Oct 27, 2004.

1. brobb19

brobb19 Member

Heres the deal:
    I have tried EVERYTHING. I have DVD X COPY XPress. I have DVD Cloner2. I have tried burning the entire movie on 1 disc. I have tried burning the entire movie on 2 disc. I have tried burning just the movie (no menu) on both 1 and 2 discs. I have tried with my virus scan/firewall AND screensaver OFF and ON. I have tried defragmenting and then doing it, among other things. EVERY combination has been tried, with BOTH of my software programs. I have a 16X Lite-On +/- burner. I have tried various brands and speeds of DVD-R's, including 4x, 8x, and 16x. They all come out choppy and skip 3/4 or so into the movie. I want to fix this, I have wasted COUNTLESS DVD-R's with 0 successes. Please tell me what to do.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Out of all that info, you failed to mention the brand of discs your using. What brand are you using?

3. brobb19

brobb19 Member

I have used several different ones. Sony, TDK, Memorex, Lite-On, and right now I've been trying Verbatim 16x dvd+r. Nothing works, it isnt the media.

4. flip218

Hmm ... wasn't aware Verbatim made 16x +R media .. do you have a link to where you purchased?

I wasn't aware LiteOn made media.

Now what speed are you burning at ... I hope not 16x. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Faster (IMO) doesn't mean better.

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

brobb19,
    Try a couple burns at 2x
    Try disabling all under the startup tab in msconfig.
    Run a spyware-adware removal progy prior to any rip/burn.
    Oh ya, is your firmware upto date.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  6. brobb19

brobb19 Member

flip218: the Lite-On media came with my dvd burner. 8x + and -.
    And the verbatim 16X+R i purchased from BEST BUYS shelf. It must be new because i had never heard of it either, and neither had the Best Buy GEEK SQUAD member that was standing right next to me when I found it.
    I have been burning at 16X. With both DVD X COPY and DVD Cloner2, I do not have the option of slowing down the speed. I actually just downloaded dvd shrink, and I tried it at max speed, and the burn process went just fine, everything said it came out okay, but when i put it in my DVD-rom, it wouldnt even play. Froze up PowerDVD. I tried it again, at 4X (the SLOWEST speed possible on dvd shrink, MORT81) and it still didnt work. I have heard numerous times about using dvd shrink and then burning with Nero. How is that possible? I opened both programs and didnt see the option of combining them. I tried opening up the file that had been saved in my HD through Nero, and it made sure to let me know that if I burned it, it wouldnt be a DVD Video compilation. So that was useless. What do I do next, NOTHING that works for everyone else works for me.

7. brobb19

brobb19 Member

Oh and my firmware is up to date. My computer is almost brand new, I bought it last month.

8. flip218

Hmm ... does it say 16x on the dvd blank? Because, even the Verbatim wesite doesn't show 16x, fastest is 8x.

That cannot be ... Shrink doesn't burn. It can automatically open and burn with either Nero, DVD Decrypter or CopyToDVD.

Here's an good Nero burning guide:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burning_dvd_with_nero.cfm

Try using just DVD Shrind and DVD Decrypter.

Use Shrink to create an ISO. Do not auto burn, manually open Decrypter and manually set the burn speed to 4x.

Do you have Nero or Roxio?

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hmmm, I burn at 2x useing dvd shrink and nero all the time. I know your frustrated, but don't take it out on me. I'm just trying to help.

10. flip218

You can also burn at 1x,2x or 2.4x with DVD Decrypter

11. brobb19

brobb19 Member

I GOT IT TO WORK! DVD Shrink on 4X worked this time! and I was able to successfully scroll through every chapter on the verbatim 16xdvd+r. My question is, how do i set my burn speed at 2x, or 1x. I have DVD shrink and nero, but when i burned this dvd it never prompted Nero to open or anything. It encoded it, and then went strait to the burning process. Im not sure if maybe it was disguisingly using Nero's program, but it didnt open up the brightly colored Nero program to do the burning. And, why is it that when I burned at 16x(failure) it took 19 minutes total, and when i burned at 4x(Success) it only took 22 minutes total? Also, FLIP218, if you give me an email address i will snap a shot of my DVD+R with my cell camera and send to you.
    Please help me with the burn speed adjustment because the picture quality is not perfect.
    One more thing, the size of this DVD just HAPPENED to be 4.29GB, which is fairly small. What if it were a GB larger, would I have much worse picture quality? Would I have to delete title menu and everything else?
    Thank you.

12. flip218

No need to send a pic, just verify if it says Verbatim 16x.

13. brobb19

brobb19 Member

yes sir it does indeed, it says 16X on the packaging and on the disc. However, on the disc it is printed on the small, clear, circular part in the very center, rather than on the actual silver part. Why do you think that is?
    And also, do you know how I can set my burn speed to under 4x? The option was NOT there in "burn settings" on dvd shrink.

14. flip218

Ya need to read our posts ... Shrink doesn't burn on it's own ... it uses Nero, DVD Decrypter or CopyToDVD.

So just manually burn the output file Shrink makes and burn with what you have (Nero, Decrypter or CopyToDVD)

15. brobb19

brobb19 Member

Im new to a lot of this. I dont know how to do that or where to go to even BEGIN trying. Let me know if you can. Youve been a lot of help actually. :)

16. turkster

turkster Member

Just a note (to cover all of the bases). Have you ever installed the Interactual Player or other programs that come on some DVD's? I hear their main purpose is to disrupt any ripping of the dvd files.

17. brobb19

brobb19 Member

i have nero.

18. brobb19

brobb19 Member

Interactual Player was installed onto my computer AUTOMATICALLY with the Nero install CD. I havent deleted it, only because I figured why not have 2 different dvd players. Should I?? Flip, have you heard this?

19. flip218

Yes remove Interactual Player, I would also uninstall all the software your trying to copy with and reinstall it.