1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-/+r is not being recognized

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by McBud, Sep 9, 2007.

1. McBud

McBud Member

The dvd is Fujifilm 16x dvd-r and Sony dvd+r
    I click the drive on My Computer, and it says there is no disc inside, although i clearly put one in

I tried swapping discs, to see if it was a bad one, but no luck

I constantly get I/O errors on DVD decrypter

[​IMG]

Alcohol 120 says there is no disc inside

Please help me

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

3. McBud

McBud Member

That website is down I think, do you have an alternate website for firmware updates?

4. McBud

McBud Member

Uhh ok, I updated to the latest firmware, but it still doesn't work

It still gets the same errors mentioned before, but now it says ts14 instead of ts11

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

looks like you may have a bad drive . try a new drive and using better media like Taiyo Yuden or verbatim

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

TS14 does appear to quite new, ie it's listed here as being updated on May 29, 2006 - http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2273 though the actual firmware file is dated December 2005 this may explain why it doesn't seem to like modern blank discs

Googling seems to show this as a pretty obscure drive and i can't get into the actual firmware file to see exactly what media is catered for..

edit- doh!, no wonder.... this drive is a cdwriter/dvd-ROM combo drive, ie a DVD reader and NOT a DVD burner

http://yhst-7265593087285.stores.yahoo.net/n7n2n2n3codr.html
    http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=spec_sbw423&pi=platform_rhea_c

7. McBud

McBud Member

So I have to but a separate dvd burner? Then I have to somehow take apart my vaio, and replace it?

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

well if you want to burn DVD's then you need to either replace that drive or better still, keep that drive and use it for burning CD's and ripping DVD's, and add a USB2.0 enclosure with a bog-standard dvd burner of your choice (there's also firewire enclosures but for those you would need firewire connection on laptop or via a PCMCIA card - i would recommend USB2.0 enclosure as i presume your laptop has USB2.0 ports built in... ..this way it's all very cost effective and hassle-free.. (and the enclosures can be swapped between pc's very easily whenever you like)

For instance i use these Belkin USB2.0 enclosures on various PC's/laptops -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007