1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd r not recognized by windows xp

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by thexrock, Oct 18, 2004.

1. thexrock

thexrock Member

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum, I have the new pioneer dv108 dual sided and I m usin nero 6.3 and I m tryin to do a standard data backup of about 4 gigs, it burns fine, but when I go to put the dvd r+ in another dvd drive, it says windows cant read it or that the file is not recognizeable, any ideas on this one?

even the pioneer drive wont recognize the data that was just burned.

thexrock

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy thexrock, welcome to aD,

Obviously there's something not right. Take a little more time and go through what you're doing, step by step starting with the type of files you're working with and the media your working with.

Saying that, to save yourself some time, start by checking your other drives to make sure they are up-to-date, Firmware wise AND you're not using anything too new like 8X media that the other drives might not see –

Let me know how you make out,

Pete

3. thexrock

thexrock Member

Ok, i ll go into a bit more detail. I had about 6 cd'r's of backup files, combination of mpeg files,jpegs,mp3,exe's for various programs,nothing out of the ordinary. So I just wanted to take all of those and put them onto 1 dvd(memorex cd+r) so i selected to create a dvd rom iso option in nero and i selected no multisession and I added the files just fine and it burned and went through all the files and I got no errors at all during burn process.

I m looking closer at the actual dvd +r media and it does mention that its 8x 4.7gb or 120min video. So I m guessing it cant read the 8x option,like u mentioned, but then if it can burn it why wouldnt the same drive be able to read it later?

If 8x media is too new, what do u recommend?

thanks

thexrock

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ok there thexrock, I see our problem -

You can't put any old thing on a DVD and have it work.

Your .Jpg's yes and your .Exe files if they're placed there separately but not as a lump. If you want a Data type backup you should use a DVD ROM drive/disc.

For DVD's all of your .Avi's and Mpeg's need to be converted to converted to VOB's.

Use TMPGEnc to go from Avi to DVD compliant Mpeg's. Not all Mpeg's are DVD Compliant. You then should use TMPGEnc DVD Author to render those files into your VOB files and then burn them to your DVD disc.

For fewer steps (but that play on fewer players) use NeroVision to render from Avi and Mpeg to DVD but wait for it, it'll take a good long time to process :(

Give it a try and let us know how you make out -

Pete

5. thexrock

thexrock Member

ok, yeah your right, I did kinda overlook that, this is my first dvd burner and got excited. now I was able to find a dvd r that says on the front "Data-Video"(maxell) and it says up to 4x, do u think this will work, or do I still need to convert those video files?

thanks

thexrock

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey thexrock,

Well now, as they say, "There's good news and then there's bad news."

The good news is that the discs will work just fine if they made by Mitsubishi, that means they are excellent -if they are not, they're a much poorer quality and you'll probably have trouble with them :(

Use this tool to tell -
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

And for the bad news, yes there little Buddy, you still have to render (convert) all of those files and worse news yet ? It's going to take a long time. With a PC like mine, maybe 3 + hours for a DVD. I know you've got clips but figure out how many you have - it'll take time AND it has to be done -

As I said,

It will be worth it though cause when it's done, it will play on your PC AND on a regular player too -
    Give it a shot, you'll see -

Let me know how you make out -

Pete

7. thexrock

thexrock Member

hi scuba, yeh i ran that identifyer and it says its made by CMC Magnetics, which i guess i bad,but I m not too worried about converting video, I just wanna make sure I can find a dvd r so i can start backing up the other stuff. Now the maxell dvr, do u think that will work ok, once i get everything converted or should I look for another brand of media?

and again as for the movie clips and mpegs i have,none are that big, biggest is 100mbs, but as for the mp3's and wavs, they dont need conversion to do they?

thanks for the help

thexrock

8. Neuro42

Neuro42 Guest

I used maxell 4x dvd-rs and backed up my Music collection to dvd, 4.2GB....

Didnt have to convert it

I also but 5-6 Divx movies on a few different DVDs

But I used Nero backup to do it.

Couldnt figure out how to just burn to a dvd LOL

Didnt realize when I was trying to burn a data disc in nero it had a selection of DVD or CD in the top corner of it!! Whoops!

9. brobear

brobear Guest

thexrock

The Maxell +R you mention is more than likely a Ricoh product. Ricoh is a respected manufacturer, so you can feel safe with the Maxell +R.

Did you make an error trying to burn a CD +R as a DVD file?

If an ISO image was created, then that means the entire contents of the material is in one large folder. No one app is very capable of sorting that out. The various files don't match. You should have just done a normal file backup and then various apps could open the various files stored on the one large DVD. It sounds like you only wanted to back up various material, not make a movie. If you still have the files, I'd say to back them up but don't put them in an ISO image file.

I just did a similar backup of material because I was switching and reformating some hard drives. No problems with the various files. As long as there are apps on the PC to open them on an idividual basis. I had PDF, wav, exe, iso, rar and various other type files.

On the subject of CMC, it is questionable media for the price, but it is compatible enough for data and video to at least be recorded and read. Quality may be an issue. I accidentally got some and it worked; and months later I can still watch the videos. I'd say the recording method is suspect and next time you may want to reconsider your media purchase, especially if you want to do quality video work with it.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2004
  10. thexrock

thexrock Member

hi, yeah i mistyped that memorex cd r, i wanted to say dvd r , my bad. yeah i finally figured out how to get around the image, which i didnt want to create, i can figure out how to burn it,its just the files like mpeg and video clips maybe messing me up as far as the drive not reading it. yeah i really didnt have a entire movie to backup mostly just mpegs,video clips and such, the majority is exe files,winzip,rar and jpegs and wavs,mp3 type of stuff, any particular media good for this type of backup? the maxell i just bought said on the cover "Data-Video" now does that mean video stuff only or both data and video allowed?

thanks

thexrock

11. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  12. brobear

brobear Guest

thexrock

herbsman made some good suggestions. The Ritek is the easiest to purchase and be assured of what you're buying. The G04 is a -R offering. I use the +R Ritek-RiData on occasion and that is the Ricoh coded media. Both are good, just depends on the format you want to use. The Taiyo Yuden media is manufactured for a variety of brands such as Verbatim, Panasonic, Samsung, and TDK to name a few. The problem you'll find here is that the brands also use other manufacturers and that makes it difficult to be sure of the media being purchased. It's one of the worst problems involved in purchasing media and the companies don't seem to mind keeping the consumer in the dark.

I noticed you didn't say Maxell +R, you just put in r. The +R Maxell are the Ricoh coded media. The -R media are made by Mitsubishi (MCC) and Hitachi Maxell. I've never used the Maxell coded media, but the MCC is good stuff. BTW, the Maxell that is labeled for Video is the one I noticed was by MCC.

As for the recording of files to backup you might be better off with Windows. When I do what you did, I collect the various files in their own folders in one big folder for the project. Once I have all the material collected I want to save, I open the project folder. There I use select all in edit. Then I send the material to the DVD burner through the Windows program. Later when I open the disc, I open the individual folders or exe or other files and the Windows programs open them automatically as they would if on the HD. Click a setup exe and it sets up. Click on a PDF and Adobe Reader opens it. Player will open the wav files and your video apps will open the mpeg. I think you get the picture. I've done it on a few occasions and it works great everytime. Nero is good but it's not needed or perfect for everything.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2004
  13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Neuro42, (you too thexrock, Heh,heh)

Yes indeed, there's no problem with Data, Jpg, Gifs or most any music files. When doing those things I just mentioned, you don't have to be picky about the discs or about the speed you're going to burn at, it's all good. They are very simple files. Video, on the other hand is quite a bit more work and cannot be delt with as easily as the others. Thanks for your input -

Pete

Hi again thexrock,

As I mentioned before 2 out of 3 Maxell are made with dye type "Unknown" and as a general rule, should not be trusted - Please note that the numbers are different on all 3 Maxells I've presented here. Everything else on the Maxell page is DVD RAM or Re-author media, the stuff listed below is all they make that we'll see. - You'll see that brobear and I (on occasion ,Lol) agree pretty much when media is good. You can use DVD Identifier and type in "a DVD's name" to see the results :)

Here is what you get when you type in Maxell -

Offerer: Maxell
    Designation: DR-A47.1P
    Print: Maxell
    Packing: Jewel Case
    EAN code: 4902580342739
    UPC code: without
    Manufacturer's code: MXL RG01
    Manufacturer: Hitachi Maxell, Ltd..
    Dye type: Unknown
    Version: 2.0
    Data capacity: 4.70 GB
    Video capacity: 120 minutes (standard Play)

Designation: DVD r
    EAN code: 4902580347376
    Manufacturer's code: MXL RG02
    Manufacturer: Hitachi Maxell, Ltd..
    Dye type: Unknown
    Version:

3. (This is one I've already told you about )
    Designation: DR-V47.1P
    EAN code: 4902580342487
    Manufacturer's code: MCC00RG200
    Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemical corporation Means it's a very Good company
    Dye type: Metal Azo Means this is, "Top of the heap, super-duper " GREAT !
    Version: 2.0
    Remark:
    DVD r video (120 minutes of capacity)

This is the one brobear talked about -
    Designation: DVD+R
    EAN code: 4902580347413
    Manufacturer's code: RICOHJPNR008 Means this is a reputable company
    Manufacturer: Ricoh company Limited same as above, a good company to look for.
    Dye type: Unknown again, not a good sign. If the dye was great, like the one above, they'd Brag on it.
    Version:

As you can see most of the Maxell stuff isn't all that good but their good stuff is Great - Go figure ?

Cheers,

Pete

14. brobear

brobear Guest

thexrock

As most will notice the absence of a dye type being listed is neither good nor bad as far as quality goes. Ritek doesn't boast of their dye types, yet most say they are good media. With Verbatim's best line you will find Ricoh codes and no dye type mentioned.

Ricoh boasts of their dyes, they just aren't as vocal. Ritek, Ricoh, Mitsubishi, and Taiyo Yuden use different formulas; yet they are the manufacturers of top media sold by several top brands. This is what Ricoh says about the DL media:

Many people see azo and just skim on without catching the relevance.

azo

- \Az"o-\ [See Azote.] (Chem.) A combining form of azote; (a) Applied loosely to compounds having nitrogen variously combined, as in cyanides, nitrates, etc. (b) Now especially applied to compounds containing a two atom nitrogen group uniting two hydrocarbon radicals, as in azobenzene, azobenzoic, etc. [bold]These compounds furnish many artificial dyes.[/bold] See Diazo-.

Opticaldisc shows that a dye they call Dye 41 is superior to many cyanide (azo) dyes. (Lets just say their tests showed it.)
    http://www.opticaldisc-systems.com/2003JulyAug/Recordble37.htm

Verbatim, GreatAZO, and Prodisc are just some of the brands using AZO dye. So just going by a dye type doesn't always insure a good media. In the case of Verbatim though you have Mitsubishi a name manufacturer involved in the production.
    Manufacturer-Code: MCC 01RG20
    Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
    Dye-Type: Metal Azo
    Data Capacity: 4.70 GB
    Video Capacity: 120 Minutes (Standard Play)

You need to look at the track record of the manufacturer and brand. And if brand association were enough, we would be buying Memorex, as Memorex has at one time or another sold some media made by the top manufacturers. But, the problem is, Memorex has also sold some questionable media by makers such as CMC. So, you can see the pitfalls and that is why many of us don't recommend Memorex; you don't know if you're going to get good or questionable media.

When AZO is mentioned it is a dye type as with Ricoh when they list their dye type as Phase Change.

Here is one of our knowledgable mods talking about Ritek-RiData and the Ricoh media.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/90164

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2004
  15. thexrock

thexrock Member

thanks for all the info guys, I was just able to make the backup via the backup files option under nero and it now reads just fine on both my drives, and somehow i didnt even have to convert any video files. I will try out those riteks though.

thexrock

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey guy, I didn't think you'd have a problem playing your clips and such on your PC - you'd have trouble playing it on a standalone player -

Good luck and keep us posted -

Pete

17. brobear

brobear Guest

thexrock
    Glad you got it going. When you said ISO, I figured it was the recording method most likely at error. Nero has so much to offer it isn't difficult to make a wrong choice sometimes. I've opened programs on occasion to find I should be in another one. Getting back to ISO, the ISO file method is good for video recording. I've even seen it used to transport files over the net. However the ISO had to be put in an emulator and opened as a simulated disc. A bit of PC trickery. So just backing up PC files is best done in file mode; that way the PC and applicable programs can access the various files without looking at it as a single application.

I think you may have thrown a few people off as we normally deal with people trying to make video backups instead of just backing up various files for file backup. As I said, glad you got it going and if you need any video help with backing up movies on DVD, just come on back.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

thexrock
    I forgot to mention on the Maxell products. Unless they changed [bold]Maxell has only sold Ricoh manufactured +R media[/bold] in the recent past. Things change, but this has been the situation in the past. So it has been easy to figure out that you're getting Ricoh with +R Maxell. The dye type has been Phase Change. As I said, unless they just changed recently, it's pretty much a sure thing with the +R Maxell purchase.

[bold]The -R Maxell media is where you won't know what you have until you check it, after purchase[/bold]. It's not 2 out of 3 unknown; it's more like a 50/50 chance you'll either get Hitachi Maxell or MCC as the manufacturer of the -R Maxell media because they are the only 2 manufacturers of the -R (as I keep saying, unless they changed recently). I don't know much about Hitachi Maxell and haven't seen any reports on their media. However, the MCC name stands for quality.

[bold]It's one manufacturer for +R Maxell, Ricoh. 2 manufacturers of -R Maxell, MCC and Hitachi Maxell[/bold]. Since I use +R, I've been fairly sure of my purchases before I make them. As I said though, things change and the brands and manufacturers care little about keeping the consumer in the dark. Several brands use only Ricoh for their +R media, so it has been easy to locate what I want in various brands.

I've decided to stop pushing my luck and start buying Ritek-RiData or Ricoh branded, so I won't have to worry about a brand moving in a questionable manufacturer while I'm not looking. So your choice of trying the Ritek just goes along with what a lot of users are already doing. Ritek has been one of the largest DVD makers over the past few years if not the largest. I think I noticed they had the largest share recently if someone else hasn't beat them out, and I couldn't guess who could do that.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2004
  19. thexrock

thexrock Member

yeah i probably made it sound harder than what it really was, nero is pretty good, it was just the matter of finding the right method i guess.

thanks again

thexrock

20. brobear

brobear Guest

thexrock
    I agree, Nero is a great app. I use it all the time and still need to learn a bit more about things, like the Nero Vision Express segment. Seems PCs are a learning experience for most of us all the time. Well glad you got things going. BTW, you're welcome again. If you run into anymore problems we can help with, just ask.