1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-r not recognized - it says CD-ROM ...

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by baronvl, Oct 26, 2004.

1. baronvl

baronvl Member

Hi,
    i use win xp, and own a pioneer dvd-r107D internal dvd drive.
    Lately, my pc doesn't recognize it as an dvd-r drive - it keeps saying CD-rom...
    I have tried the following things in vain:
    - uninstalled the drive, then rebooted XP
    - upgraded drivers/firmware
    - I even reinstalled windows completely
    nothin has worked so far...
    I use my machine for video editing (film school), so this is quite an issue to me :-(
    any thoughts?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how old is drive, reseat data cables to drive, if drive is on same cable as hd put on seperate cable

3. rjcpq886

rjcpq886 Member

Hey, Baronvl --
    I've posted a similar reply to another newbie; and I'm not sure if I can be of any help. :( Although, this doesn't seem to be a unique problem, my Sony DRU500AX seemed to suffer the same demise; it stopped recognizing DVD-media (blank or commercially-manufacturer) and only functions as a CD-R recordable drive now. Sony Tech Support was of no help, whatsoever. They said to 'uninstall' the drive, then re-boot, having WinXP re-recognize the drive - which didn't work. Then, I did a new hard-drive swap, reformatted fresh, then installed WinXP Pro and it still didn't work. I think the drive suffered a failure of some sort, thinking originally, maybe the drivers were corrupt or such. I'm still at a lost as to why this 1-year old Sony DRU500AX drive failed! :(

4. baronvl

baronvl Member

hi there,

still haven't found a solution - sent the entire pc back to manufacturer...
    I'll post the solution as soon as i get it back :-(

5. rjcpq886

rjcpq886 Member

Fortunately, you have that option -- Sony Tech Support told me, that since the DRU500AX was 'out-of-warranty,' they would charge me $170 to repair it -- that's more than the cost of a new or updated unit. They said that Sony stopped making parts for it, and it would cost this much to start up the machine to build the parts to repair it! How's that for a lame excuse? I hope all of you consumers read this!

Good luck with your manufacturer! :)