1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R Not reconized

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by JumpJax, Oct 19, 2004.

1. JumpJax

JumpJax Member

I have this problem, when I back up my DVD, I can read the backup i've created. But when I tried to read somebody else's back up. Such as movies. It shows as an empty disk. Some one say it's a lock or a program. If you have any idea how to read those disks Please let me know.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Strangely enough I ran into the same problem. A friend did a backup on his PC using the same type media I do. My backups play on my standalone DVD players and his wouldn't on one. My PC would read the video, so I checked to see if it would play if I recorded his backup. It did. The difference was just the burner. So strange things happen and more often with older DVD players. You need to check to see what formats your player accepts. Obviously it takes the one you recorded. Just to let you in on how my little experiment went, I have a newer player that even plays CD formats. It had no problems at all with my friends recording. So it can be the player or other causes. Most often it is an incompatible media format that causes the problem.

3. JumpJax

JumpJax Member

One problem, It's in my pc. Not my dvd player. I cant
    read other peoples back up dvd in my DVD Burner.
    It reads as n empty disk

4. JumpJax

JumpJax Member

This is really important please help me solve this problem

5. brobear

brobear Guest

What viewing software are you using? Download the video viewer from InterVideo and see if that makes a difference. I believe it is WinDVD6.

6. JumpJax

JumpJax Member

brobear thanx for all your help

7. JumpJax

JumpJax Member

Do you think that it's because i have the older version of InterVideo? If i have InterVideo 6 than it should read in my dvd drive and instead of reading it as a blank DVD.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Glad to help, but what did I do? Did the viewer take care of the problem? In any case, you're welcome.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

whoops, we posted at the same time. The older version of the WinDVD viewer worked well, I just upgraded to the newer version because it's updated over the older app.

What recording programs are you using and type media? Also, what programs used and media formats are the backups you can't view. Plus what drive are you using to view the backups, ROM or a Burner drive? Also, is the firmware up to date?

10. brobear

brobear Guest

I forgot, can you use windows explorer to open the drive the disc is in to see the file structure at all?